M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, September 14, 2011  

Happy Long-Distance Anniversary

I've got kind of a lot going on right now, so maybe you could just help me out on getting this started by reading this. I'll wait.

Done? Good. Now read this.

And now this. You can probably see where this is going.

Of course it's natural, on the day of one's honest-to-God-no-shit twentieth wedding anniversary, to look back, to think about how I got here, to marvel over the fact that I've been married longer than I can remember being single. But I'm not going to do that today, because here's what my wife did.

As my Twitter followers are already aware, Trash happens to be in Los Angeles this week for some un-reschedulable business travel. I was understanding and patient about her, and didn't give her a hard time. I ripped her boss a new one, but that was it.

So the plan was to wait until she got home and celebrate over the weekend. I had the idea of sending flowers to her hotel in L.A., but she'd only have them for a day and a half before having to leave them. So in terms of doing nice things, I've simply had to content myself with staying home and rearing her child. Except I don't even get to do that, because she arranged for other people to pick him up and take him to karate and stuff.

So today, I'm working in what is a very quiet house in the absence of my usual office mate, when the doorbell rings right around lunchtime. Someone's here to clean the house, and she brought me a Big Mac!

(In case you don't know me very well, that's good.)

Not even done yet. A couple of hours later, the doorbell rings. Nobody's on the stoop when I get there, so I figured the mail carrier had just dropped off a package and rang to alert me. But when I look down, there's a paper bag from the local coffee shop with cookies inside, and on it is written, "Happy Anniversary! Love, [Trash]." Just as I was about to run inside the house and IM, "how did you do that??/?" I saw our friend Bitter skulking back down the street toward her car, hiding behind her coat. I suppose the kind thing to do would have been to let her get away clean.

And then! My sister-in-law, who happens to be an internationally renowned florist (shut up, they do too exist) stopped by to drop off one of those flower arrangements she does that that are so bright and beautifully composed they make your flower arrangements look like they came out of the Kansas scenes in Wizard of Oz. During the tornado.

And I don't think it's even done yet, because Trash texted me to make sure I was going to be home tonight. Well, I am now.

I won't say it's the best anniversary ever, because she'd have to be here with me for that to be the case, but it's certainly the best one we've ever spent apart, even if it's the only one. And look how awesome she is, will you? I could be crabby about her being gone, but right now I'm just excited for her to come home tomorrow so we can get started on the third decade of our marriage.

posted by M. Giant 3:51 PM 3 comments

3 Comments:

Awwwwwwwwww!!

I said it on Twitter this morning, but I'll say it here again now:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!

(I did that with jazz hands. FYI.)

I hope that you have a wonderful, if belated, celebration when she gets home.

By Blogger Heather, at September 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM  

I wish you all the best. However, I can't help wondering what is behind the nick name you chose to give to your beloved wife!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 15, 2011 at 5:52 AM  

Fabulous. And congratulations - what a milestone!

- JeniMull

By Blogger Anon, at September 15, 2011 at 7:15 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives