M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Monday, September 19, 2005  

Fourteen years ago last week, George H. W. Bush was still a popular president. Babies were born that week who are now in high school. And I got married.

People are always amazed when I tell them how long I've been married. Even when I had only been married a couple of years, people were amazed. Part of that is context, of course, because none of the other kids in my social studies class were married at all.

I'm kidding. We didn't get married all that young. But in this day and age, in the big city, it's still unusual to have been married this long without being five or ten years older than we are. Generally speaking, people either tend to wait until their thirties or forties, or they're just living on borrowed time until one of them gets carried off by a varmint.

But we've gotten the best of all worlds. We got married fairly young by modern urban standards, so we have that much more time together. And we're in it for the duration, which means even more time together. Now we've got this wonderful, beautiful child in our family, who came along at the right time, without some rush to make an addition before the two of us got to know each other (we knew each other just fine when the rush came, thank God). Our marriage has outlived one of our cats, who lived a long life herself. We've been married for two-fifths of our lives. I can't imagine not being married, and don't especially care to.

The day after our tenth anniversary -- September 15, 2001, in case you're wondering -- Trash and I were at a wedding. Someone with a video camera asked how long we'd been married, and when we told him, he asked what our secret was. I made some stupid wisecrack, which I've regretted ever since. What I should have said is that the secret to a long, happy marriage is to marry the ideal woman. Do that and everything else falls into place.

Happy anniversary, Trash. I'd marry you again, especially if I also got to keep the last fourteen years.

posted by M. Giant 9:35 PM 5 comments

5 Comments:

I would totally marry your wife too- she's got to be one of the most charming people I've ever met socially in Mpls. Happy Anniversary!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 20, 2005 at 11:42 AM  

You are so sweet. Happy Anniversary.

By Blogger Sara, at September 21, 2005 at 11:20 AM  

Must be a great day for anniversaries: that was my parents wedding day (together for 28 years now) as well as my in-laws anniversary (40 years together?)

Congratulations!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 23, 2005 at 8:59 AM  

Very sweet...Congratulations!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 23, 2005 at 6:27 PM  

Well, I can't begin to even be aware of the number of MY stupid wisecracks I've regretted in the past 14 years. But I'm really happy that every now and then, I get lucky and somehow let you guys know how much I love and appreciate you both. You're still my favorite old married couple.

By Blogger Febrifuge, at September 24, 2005 at 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives