M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Saturday, September 14, 2002  

When I was in high school, there was this girl at another school who I was totally smitten with. She was way out of my league. Fortunately, being at a different school, she didn't know that. We became friends, went out a few times, hung out, I figured she dug me. Sadly, I was an idiot, so I blew it.

Whoever said there were no second chances in life, I’m glad they were wrong. I ran into her one freshman spring day at the University of Minnesota. We started talking. We started hanging out again. We started talking about how much we’d miss each other when she went away that summer. Basically it was Say Anything.

Not coincidentally, we saw that movie several times together.

Except instead of us both leaving at the end, she ended up not going. Thank God. I shudder to think what my life would be like today if her plans hadn’t been upended by a life-threatening allergy.

If you haven’t figured out yet that I’m talking about my wife Trash, then this is your first day of reading this blog.

I can only imagine that some catastrophic error in karmic paperwork somewhere resulted in my even getting a second glance from her. Only a really high level of ignorance about how special she was could have allowed her to go out on a date with me. And she never, ever, would have fallen in love with me if we lived in a fair universe.

Fortunately, being with her has made me a much better person. Some of my best qualities are ones I owe to her. Without her, there’d be no Velcrometer. I’m not just talking about the way she set up my Blogger account for me; she's believed in my abilities from the beginning, before there was any reason to. She's someone for whom "life isn't fair" is never a good enough explanation for anything. She's waaaay smarter than me, charming, funny, easily the hottest woman I've ever met, and nobody can meet her without loving her. Try it sometime. You can't do it.

Today marks the end of the eleventh year we’ve spent as husband and wife. I’m a writer, so I should be able to convey how lucky and grateful I feel that she's chosen to spend another year of her life in mine. Sorry. I've tried, and I can't do it. All I can do is wish her a happy anniversary, and do what I can to try to make her feel even a third as special and important as she's made me feel for the past thirteen years.

What, you wanted snark instead of schmoop today? Too bad.

posted by M. Giant 5:39 AM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives