M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Thursday, December 30, 2004  

The Year in Review

Have you given money for tsunami relief yet? Good. Give some more.

* * *

Can you believe this decade is half over and we still don’t have a decent name for it? What the hell is wrong with us?

So, what happened to me this year? Not much, really. Let me see if I can hit the high points.

I tried frozen White Castle hamburgers from the grocery store for the first time ever. I have to say I wasn’t too impressed.

I finished a 300-ounce jug of laundry detergent this year. You pick up one of those beasts from Sam’s club and you can’t imagine ever using all that stuff. But eventually you do. It just takes longer.

I spent a whole lot more time downtown, especially in the past couple of months.

I wanted to go to a famous restaurant in another city to have one of my favorite meals in the world, but it was closed that day. I was sad.

We ditched our Netflix subscription. Considering how long we held on to some of those movies before getting around to watching them, buying them would have been less than the monthly rate we paid to have them in our house.

Did a lot of Christmas shopping online this year. No, actually, Trash did that. Never mind.

I walked around the lake a bunch of times this summer. It was warm outside.

While shopping at Crate & Barrel with Trash and Banana, I got bored until I found a bin full of kitchen timers. I pulled one out, set it for twenty minutes, and put it back in the bin. Then I set another one for nineteen minutes. Then I set another one for eighteen minutes. I was down to ten minutes before Trash caught me. Not only did I find it funny, I got us to leave the store in less than ten minutes.

I went to buy gas at the cheapest place in town one time, and ended up waiting in line for, like, four minutes.

I saw some movies in the theater, but not as many as I meant to.

I finished Max Payne 2. I also got pretty good at a few Yahoo! Games.

I didn’t go to New York once. I went to Erie, though.

Let’s see, what else?

Oh, yeah. I was also birthday-feted with poems by some of my favorite writers, wrote scripts that were heard by millions of radio listeners, cared for a cat with diabetes, became a TWoP recapper and then a full-time freelance writer, played a bunch of live paid gigs with the neighbors’ band, fixed our house up so it’s in better shape than it’s been in at any time since the arrival of Dr. Jellyfinger, came face-to-face with fatherhood and my mortality in one week, took a steady corporate writing gig, broke several traffic laws while a cat I’d had since kittenhood died right next to me, introduced two new cats into the home, got published in the dead-tree media for the first time, lost one of the new cats, found her again (that story in a few days) and finalized the adoption of my son.

That last one is going to be good when we pay our taxes for the year, I’m thinking.

I think I also gained and lost some weight, but I’m not really sure how much.

Today’s best search phrase: “Parakeet babies i need to now how long they sp” Don’t we all?

posted by M. Giant 5:39 PM 5 comments

5 Comments:

Priorities, man. Nobody gave you a shiny trophy for any of that other stuff. (And Happy New Year!)

By Blogger Febrifuge, at December 31, 2004 at 8:59 AM  

Hey, and didn't you go on vacation to California? It seems that should deserve a mention.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 31, 2004 at 11:23 AM  

What you did at C&B made me chuckle out loud. Why can't I think of stuff like that ever?

And, I have to agree with the others--the pub quiz? Totally needs to be in the top ten.

And you WILL appreciate your baby sooo much more at tax time (not that you don't now, but you know)

By Blogger rayvyn2k, at December 31, 2004 at 3:11 PM  

Ooohh! A game -- try and remember what happened this year in M. Giant's life. I'm game.

Didn't you and Trash hang with Pamie and Stee when you were in LA and didn't everyone think that Trash was someone IMPORTANT? I think that counts. I mean, not pub quiz big, but still big. -- erin

By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 31, 2004 at 3:27 PM  

Oh, thank you M. Giant for making me laugh out loud at your game to get out of Crate and Barrel. I, too, end up in places like that with my gf and I also look for ways to entertain myself and simultaneously embarrass her. Hey, it's the least I should get to do.

In Michael's (the craft store), I like to rearrange the wooden letters on random shelves to spell out things that just shouldn't be spelled out in a nice, artsy craft store. Yes, I'm an immature ass. Yes, it also lets the woman know I'm ready to leave.

Happy New Year and thanks for the perpetual entertainment.

By Blogger J Money, at January 3, 2005 at 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives