M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Saturday, December 04, 2004  

Hello Kitt(ies)

Okay, so here’s what happened.

When Trash and I picked the new colors for our bedroom, we chose the same ones independently of one another, so we knew they were the right choices. When M. Tiny’s birth parents browsed through the files of potential adoptive parents, they chose us separately from one another, so they were confident in their decision. So when the Vet-Friend sent us some pictures of kittens for us to choose from, it was obvious that Trash and I should choose separately as well. That way we’d know the cat we both chose would be the one who was meant to join our family.

We should have had a procedure in place for when we chose different cats.

A procedure did come into existence gradually, but it was one we sort of made up as we went along:

1. Mope.
2. Decide to wait until there are more kitties to choose from.
3. Go through a couple of bedtimes dealing with the memory of how Orca used to curl herself into Trash’s arm when she got into bed, because that was fun.
4. Re-read the entry about when Orca died, because hey, even more fun.
5. Look at the pictures of the potential new kitties again.
6. Decide we want them both.

Once the emotional surge passed, we realized that it did make a sort of sense. These are two cats who have been together for a while, and taking one of them would spilt them up. And then the fact the Strat is, let’s face it, fourteen and diabetic, meant that there would be another separation not all that many years down the road. Which would require us to pick yet another cat then, and we figured, well, this is easier.

Because what could be easier than raising a human, two kittens, and taking care of a diabetic cat at the same time?

Technically, Trash got to name Phantom. I suggested the name, and she liked it, so that counts. I asked her, “What are you going to name the other one?”

“You get to name her,” she said,

“But I named Phantom,” I said.

“No, I named Phantom. You suggested the name, and I accepted.”

“So I can name my new cat whatever I want?”

“Yes.”

“I’m naming her Dog.”

“No.”

When the Vet-Friend brought them over in one medium sized carrier, I was surprised at how small they were in person. Turtle, especially, at four months old, looks like a dust bunny with a face. But then you pick her up and you realize you’re cupping a belly that’s already quite substantial.

Also, dust bunnies are smarter.

Turtle’s name was inspired by her coat. It features the colors of a turtle sundae: vanilla ice cream, chocolate, and caramel. Plus she’s nuts.

It’s amazing how quickly cats pick up affectionate nicknames. Turtle has already been addressed in our house as “Turtledove,” “Turtlicious,” “Turdling,” and “Terlet.” I’ve told Trash she needs to come up with more nicknames for Phantom (Like “Phantom Menace, “Phantom Planet,” or “Phartnom,” because, damn), because calling Turtle “Dipshit” doesn’t count.

How is Strat adjusting? Well let’s just say he spent a while being sad and lonely. Now he’s spending a lot of time being annoyed.

We think that’s an improvement.

Today’s best search phrase: “And then and then and then trash.” What, do I normally tell stories like a four-year-old on meth or something?

posted by M. Giant 4:22 PM 5 comments

5 Comments:

Awwww, I'm glad to be reading a new entry from you, M. Giant, but now I have to scroll down the page to see that cute little Turtle kitty mouth when I click over here. I've been doing that bunches the last few days since it brings a smile to my face and warmth in my heart.

Kel

By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 4, 2004 at 5:16 PM  

"Turdling!" I can't stop laughing about that one. It sounds like a problem my cats have, except we call those "butt nuggets."

By Blogger a Carrie, at December 4, 2004 at 7:41 PM  

I think an annoyed Strat is definitely an improvement. Your family is getting SO big!! Pretty soon you'll have three more kids, two more cats and a monkey. And that is when we'll know you have gone too far.

By Blogger DeAnn, at December 5, 2004 at 3:48 PM  

I love both your new kitties.

although, I have to say it: Phantom looks like she's needing the bathroom. Quite badly.

incredibly cute, nonetheless.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 6, 2004 at 4:38 PM  

DeAnn and Linda - that monkey's on the way because as the mother of an almost-three-year-old I can tell you this: toddlers and monkeys? almost the same. - Trish

By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 7, 2004 at 8:01 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives