M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Thursday, July 17, 2008  

Author Event

Anyone in the Twin Cities viewing area, I'm on TV tomorrow morning (Friday, that is) to plug my book. Checkout the local morning show Showcase Minnesota at 10:00 a.m. on channel 11. See on the website where it says "Television Without Pity author?" That would be me.

Speaking of the book, why didn't any of you guys tell me you weren't finding the book at Barnes & Noble? Apparently there was an ordering snafu, but they've arrived now. I'm looking forward to stalking it in the stores, which is something I learned about from reading Pamie. What you do is find some copies, bring them to the desk, and offer to sign them. Then when you do, they can put an "Autographed Copy" sticker on the cover.

And as the Penguin publicist later told me, after I've signed them, the store can't return them to the publisher.

Speaking of signing, the thing went pretty well last week. I was pretty nervous leading up to it, especially since I realized that not only was this the first reading/signing I'd ever had, it was the first one I'd even been to. Unless you count the time I saw David Sedaris read to a packed 2,000-seat theater, which I was pretty sure was going to be a bit different.

But as it turned out, I couldn't have asked for a bigger or more supportive audience. We got started a little late, due to major road construction in the area holding people up, but eventually everyone got there. Almost literally everyone; they ran out of chairs. I saw this as a good sign. Besides, I didn't get to sit during the reading, so I don't see why everyone else should.

The other nice thing was that there were enough people we knew there that Trash and I didn't have to worry about watching M. Edium the whole time. Between his birth parents, Deniece's parents, and mine, and a kid whose parents went to high school with me (see, I knew going to my reunion would be worth it), it didn't take much beyond a constant stream of Wall-E books to prevent him from getting up to no good more than a few times. Beforehand, he was pretty excited about helping me read and telling some stories of his own, but he kind of forgot. Next time.

The reading itself went okay, although I didn't realize until later that the microphone wasn't working and a lot of people couldn't hear me so well. I had more fun doing the Q&A with the audience. Then there was the signing, which I tried to think of as like a mortgage closing but with less than five hundred signatures. Plus I got to talk to people and write little messages (at least when I could come up with one while aware of the other people waiting in line) and instead of going home with big stacks of paperwork I got to go home with the posters they used to advertise the event in the store. It's not like the store had any use for them any more.

So overall, I think it was a success. I'd recommend it, especially if you can get an awesome audience like mine.

posted by M. Giant 8:35 PM 2 comments

2 Comments:

I'm only part way through the book but I'm really enjoying it!!

somehow with a 6 year old in the house I don't get a whole lot of reading time.

Good job!

By Blogger Andy, at July 18, 2008 at 5:40 AM  

"Beforehand, he was pretty excited about helping me read and telling some stories of his own..."

Would there be tales of rockets and Lightning McQueen involved?
I, for one, would enjoy that.

Oh--and do you get an extra kick if I click through your Amazon link to order it?

By Blogger Dimestore Lipstick, at July 18, 2008 at 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives