M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Sunday, June 29, 2008  

Welcome Back, Part II

Even with 700 people in my graduating high school class, it's amazing to me how many of those people I didn't know at all. What's even more amazing is the fact that out of all the people I didn't know, they all seemed to show up for the 20-year reunion last night.

This is not to say I didn't see anyone I knew there at all, because I did. But since there were only a relative handful of people I remembered who also remembered me, it wasn't nearly the whirlwind for me that Trash's was for her last week. We kind of set up a base camp of sorts at one of the tables near the back, and hung out there with smart, interesting people rather than spending a lot of time circulating through the main press. Which pretty much reflects my original high school experience as well, so that's cool.

I also got to take a good look at our class picture for the first time in twenty years, hung up on one of the walls. There I was, on the left end of the bleachers, long-haired, skinny, and looking like a sprinter in the starting blocks. And there I was again, on the right end of the bleachers, looking winded but smug. Holy crap, did I ever think I was hilarious back then.

I was really, genuinely happy to see the people I talked to, though, so I hope it doesn't sound too cynical to say that part of the reason I went was to plug my book. As I explained to one woman who had been in English classes with me for six years, having my book come out three days after my 20-year reunion was all part of my master plan, and the expected bump in sales was totally worth starting kindergarten three years late when I was a kid so I could graduate in '88 and flog the book I was planning for release this year. I don't think she bought it. Still, Trash was a master PR whiz, whipping out the advance copy and the mini-photo album of M. Edium with equal aplomb.

Afterward, some of us were going to head over to the Perkins restaurant in the neighborhood that was practically our school's satellite campus back in the day. "Better go now and beat the rush," said our friend. We got in our respective cars and headed over separately, only to find that the place doesn't exist any more. Aren't Perkinses supposed to stay open forever? 24 hours a day, seven days a week, one hundred years a century? Only thing I can figure is that this one must have shut down for cleaning or something and some kind of Sandman absence clause allowed the Fantasy Gifts to swoop in and take over. So since we hadn't gotten updated cell phone numbers from people yet, that was the end of the reunion for us, as we went home and ate microwave nachos instead.

But I'm still hoping to catch up with people at the signing. Tell my 10th grade English teacher if you see her, would you?

Trash refused to even try to snap this with me on both sides of the sign.

posted by M. Giant 7:23 PM 4 comments

4 Comments:

Back then?

By Blogger Mertseger, at June 30, 2008 at 7:38 AM  

I saw both your book and your sign about the signing at Har Mar. It's for real!

I had a good time at my 20th reunion. People had gotten a lot less mean and snobby.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 30, 2008 at 2:28 PM  

I meant to ask after the entry about Trash's reunion - but how large is the average graduating class? 200 to me is a large class - the average here would be around 100 to maybe 150. 700 is larger than my entire high school (which covered years 7-12) including the teachers was. My graduating class ended up having 47 of us, although if you count everyone that was ever in any of the year levels as we progressed through I'm sure we could get up to at least 150.

Either way, I'm dead certain no one will be plugging a book they've written at our 20 year reunion next year (unless I take my thesis. Closest I'll ever get... nah, still hate it too much.)

By Blogger Alison, at July 1, 2008 at 12:31 AM  

Happy Sale Day! You are featured on the front table of our B&N, so that's cool.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 1, 2008 at 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives