M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, March 28, 2012  

Back from the Dead

Don't get me wrong, I like my new car. But I wouldn't have it if my old Saturn hadn't blown up and forced me to buy it. There was really nothing else to be done. As the guy at the shop told me, a hunk of the engine was catapulted across the shop when the started it. It was its time. In fact, as of just a few weeks ago when I drove by, it was still on their tiny lot. I would have felt bad about it taking up space if I hadn't signed the wreck over to them months ago so they could junk it. It was bad enough experiencing the ambivalent feelings I had just seeing it sit there, idle for months with no one driving it. Missing the open road. Missing me, the only one who ever truly loved it.

Like I said last week, M. Edium not only didn't like my old car very much, he took to openly mocking me about it near the end. And he still mocks me sometimes for having driven it as long as I did. It wasn't exactly the fanciest car in the pickup line As far as he's concerned, the destruction of its engine was the best thing that ever happened to our family.

So I was a little surprised to get a call from the car repair shop last week, asking me to bring by some lien release paperwork to show the loan had been paid off (which it had, years ago). That wasn't the surprising part. I knew the junkyard might want that before cubing it. No, what surprised me was that he needed the paperwork so they could get tabs for it.

Yes, the impossible had happened. My car had been repaired.

I felt a little weird about this, obviously, because they hadn't repaired it for me. Even I wouldn't have paid what they invested in buying and installing a whole new transmission in it. But it's not like they were going to sell it and keep all the money; no, they were going to use it as one of their loaner cars.

If I thought it was weird seeing my old Saturn sitting at the repair shop for months, it's going to be even weirder seeing it being driven around the neighborhood by someone else. It must be like having a loved one in a coma from which it seems they'll never recover, and you move on with your life and get a new loved one to replace the broken one, and then that old loved one gets up and starts walking around. With a bunch of people you don't even know.

It's not like they got a free car for nothing. They made the investment in parts and labor on their own behalf, and the owner has promised to work out some arrangement with me for credit for work in the future. As a matter of fact, I kind of can't wait until my new car breaks down some time. Because then I can drop it off and use the loaner car that used to be mine, for old times' sake.

And for the sake of pure meanness, I'll probably also pick up M. Edium from school in it without ever telling him it's back on the road.

posted by M. Giant 12:23 PM 1 comments

1 Comments:

Heh. I'd probably use my "credit" just in loaner car usage to pick up M. Edium every once in a while. Just to keep him on his toes, you know.

Things like this are why my kids are planning to put me in a horrible nursing home. Next week.

By Anonymous Cindy, at April 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives