M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Sunday, May 08, 2011  

Indoor Pool

One of the best things about working at home is that you don't have to get ready for work in the morning. You just go to work, often checking your business e-mails with eyes that aren't even fully focused yet. As the natural lulls of a normal work day come along, you might take a break to brush your teeth, or put on deodorant, or maybe shave something. If I didn't have to take M. Edium to school during the week, I'm not sure I'd even own pants.

It goes without saying, then, that daily showers are a thing of my desk-bound past. As long as Trash doesn't mind my natural funk, why waste the water?

I'll admit that with the decreased frequency, the length of the showers I do take can increase accordingly. It just takes a little more effort to get back to as clean as I was the last time I stepped out of the shower a month ago.

Even so, I really didn't think about how much water I was using during one recent shower until I went downstairs with my dirty laundry and saw all my runoff on the basement floor.

What?

So, yeah, after finally dealing with the sink that kept leaking into the basement (okay, having it dealt with), I dried up yet another pool, then tried to figure out what the problem was. I turned on the tub, and the shower, both with the drain closed and the drain open, to see if I could figure out where this new leak was coming from. I was able to reproduce a slow drip from the drum drain suspended under the basement ceiling, but nothing like the deluge that the amount of water I saw on the floor would have required.

But as always, I'm all about the temporary fix. I switched to showering upstairs, decided to put off calling the plumber for a few days, and left the state for my grandmother's funeral.

Without going into that whole trip, I'm glad I went, even if the drive back on Tuesday through five states (if you count the hundred yards into Wisconsin) was a little on the long side. But at least I got to be home and relaxed for a few hours before I got a very urgent-sounding call from downstairs. Since Trash and Bitter were watching a DRV-delayed Glee at the time, I figured something had gone wrong with the cable. Imagine my surprise when I got downstairs and found Bitter up to the tops of her feet in water.

Now, I thought I had dealt with water in the basement before. Compared to this, however, those were damp spots. Humid spells. A fogged-up hand-mirror. I came down with a bath towel and Trash just laughed at me.

We realized the toilet had been running, and probably had for a while. Once we dealt with that, at least the basement ocean stopped spreading before it went completely wall to wall.

And it could have been a lot worse. As it turned out, the cable and the TV and the DVR were all just fine. Which meant that Trash and Bitter were able to watch the end of Glee while sitting in the dry quarter of the basement. While I tried to figure out exactly what the hell had happened, and what the hell I was going to do about it.

At the very least, I was going to need a lot of towels.

posted by M. Giant 8:23 PM 1 comments

1 Comments:

If your house is on the "older" side, you may need to clean out your sewer line that runs from house to street. Older mains are made from clay pipes (of all things) and tree roots frequently grow between the seams and clog up the drains, which means the waste water then backs up into the basement through the floor drain.

It's just a thought.

By Anonymous Sara, at May 9, 2011 at 4:58 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives