M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Thursday, April 21, 2011  

When I was growing up, my family and I used to make the twelve-hour drive down to Kansas and Missouri to visit the relatives a few times a year. I haven't made the trip nearly as often after I grew up and got married, but my dad and I drove down together to see my grandmother last month. It's amazing how much faster that drive is without three kids who constantly need to pee and drink and eat and throw up and argue all the time about who's on who's half of the seat, and all before portable electronic devices were invented.

While we were driving, my aunt -- who was at the nursing home with my grandmother at the time -- told my dad about helping her get ready for bed that night. My aunt collected Grandma's glasses, her hearing aid, and her dentures. Grandma cracked, "I suppose you want my peg leg next." Grandma did not have a peg leg.

My parents have been down there for the past couple of weeks with my grandma, and tonight my mom called with the news that we had all been expecting for a little while now.

I'll be making that drive again in the next few days. So if I don't update until later next week, that's why. Just so you know.

posted by M. Giant 9:01 PM 6 comments

6 Comments:

M., you have my heartfelt sympathy. My grandmothers have both been gone for over ten years, but I still miss them. And I know both of them would have snickered about your Grandma's 'peg leg,' and wished they'd come up with it themselves.

By Blogger stacey, at April 21, 2011 at 10:21 PM  

Thinking of you, Jeff. Not surprised to hear you had a smart-alecky Grandma. I did, too. There's nothing better.

By Blogger Linda, at April 22, 2011 at 6:25 AM  

As someone who is waiting for that phone call herself, I deeply sympathize. I'm so sorry. She sounds like a remarkable woman.

By Blogger AngieNCSC, at April 22, 2011 at 6:45 AM  

I am so, so sorry for your loss.

By Blogger Coll, at April 22, 2011 at 8:35 AM  

So sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

By Blogger Heather, at April 23, 2011 at 8:13 AM  

I'm sorry for your loss & glad she got to know her cool grandchildren and great grandchild. Take good care.

By Anonymous Kathleen, at April 30, 2011 at 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives