M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Sunday, January 10, 2010  

I Aught to Thank You

To say this new decade snuck up on me is something of an understatement. But it wasn't until just this week that it actually hit me. Hard. Upside the ear.

Specifically, I suddenly realized how many things I have now that I didn't have on December 31, 1999, and it's actually kind of stunning. These are all things that have changed my quality of life for the better, and even though it's not November, I can't help being embarrassingly grateful.

Some of them are things I wanted, some of them are things I didn’t know to want, and some of them are things I never knew would exist.

A partial list, in no particular order:

A Fender Stratocaster
An IKEA within 15 miles
A blog
A four-bedroom, two-bath house with a back door that opens onto the deck
A dishwasher whose door closes properly
A Diarist Award
An office wardrobe that consists of t-shirts and hoodies
A year of writing for a national radio show
Stephen King's complete Dark Tower series
A democratic Congress
Air America
A PlayStation
An editor and an agent
American Idiot
A full-time job I like and can do from home
A part-time job making fun of TV shows for money
Two published books
A better financial situation (not counting 401(k), or course)
The Lord of the Rings on DVD
Wireless Internet at home
A laptop (work-supplied, but they don't seem to mind me writing other stuff on it)
Friends I could meet for a drink or a meal in almost every major city in the U.S.
An awesome and hilarious son, and the family who came with him
A hot wife who looks 25 and has a Master's degree (on 12/31/99 she looked 23)
My thirties to look back on
Y'all

My thirties have a 99.5% overlap with this past decade, and I have a week left of them. And I have to say, my forties are going to have a lot to live up to.

posted by M. Giant 6:04 PM 3 comments

3 Comments:

Happy almost birthday! Just think of all the new milestones you'll have with M.Edium...braces, first gilfriend, the sex talk. Am I making you miss the aughts even more?

By Blogger Stacey, at January 11, 2010 at 5:54 AM  

I think everyone should make a list like this. I don't think it would turn out too well for me, but I'm hoping this decade will be better. :D:D Happy New Year, and Happy Birthday!

By Blogger Unknown, at January 11, 2010 at 8:17 AM  

The forties (at least for me) were better than my 30s. I wish the same for you.

By Blogger rayvyn2k, at January 11, 2010 at 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives