M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, July 01, 2009  

The Quarter in Movies (Part 2)

The second part of the second quarter of the third or fourth...sommething...I don't know, just skip to the reviews.

Drag Me to Hell

Oh, how I wish Chao and I saw the version of this movie that everyone else loved so much. I saw it in Wisconsin, which I blame for the fact that the version I saw seemed to want to trade in both highbrow horror-suspense and shots of eyeballs getting gooshed into the heroine's face after she drops an anvil on a ghost's head. Potentially two really good movies ended up as one not very good one.

And I don't know how I never noticed this before, but Justin Long has a huge head on a tiny little body.

Up

So far I've seen two movies in 3-D this year. I would have to say that this one was the better of the two, both technically and in terms of story. If you measure Up against The Lollipop Girls in Hard Candy, there's going to be a clear winner.

I actually didn't mean to go to a 3-D showing, but they handed us the glasses, so there we were. M. Edium refused to wear his. He liked seeing two of everything.

Except the dogs, of course. M. Edium's not a big fan of dogs as it is, particularly loud, barking, aggressive ones. We missed most of the third act as a result, and the part we did see was from the narrow aisle next to the seat risers, where he desperately shot his finger at the screen to try to scare away the bad guys. We would have left the theater entirely, but I did something I'm not proud of: I reminded him that when we left our seat, I hadn't been able to find one of the small plastic dinosaurs he'd brought into the theater with him. As a result, I was able to catch the closing credits.

No, I didn't cry. I was too busy. I'm sure I will when I see it on DVD with Trash, though.

Year One

So dumb. So, sooo dumb. And yet I laughed. Props to Harold Ramis, I guess, for realizing dark comedy isn't really his thing and deciding to haul off and become Mel Brooks.

And that's it so far. See you next quarter! Or, I guess, the next time I post a regular style update.

posted by M. Giant 8:07 PM 2 comments

2 Comments:

Up is one of the two movies I've seen this past "quarter" (by however it is you define a quarter ;) ). We took Kiddo (age 6) to see it and kind of regretted deciding to bring her. She was more than a little scared/nervous for most of the third act, though her primary concern wasn't so much the dog pack as the human villian. In retrospect, I think we should've just gotten a sitter for her and gone on our own, then perhaps rented the DVD for her like we did with Wall-E.

Live and learn... Oh, and Hubby and I both cried, several times. Of course, we didn't have to move from our seats the way you did, so we could pay closer attention.

Oh, and the other movie I've seen so far this quarter? Wolverine. Never even considered taking Kiddo to that one.

Going to see Harry Potter in 13 days. Not that I'm counting. Okay, I totally am counting. Kiddo's not going to that one, either.

By Blogger Heather, at July 2, 2009 at 6:51 AM  

Loved "Up," and the dogs cracked me up. Well, the one dog cracked me up.

And Heather, I'm right there with you on counting down till the new HP. This weekend, I started my official nerdy movie premiere book re-read.

M.Giant, when are you going to make your blog available in a feed reader?? I forget to come check the site and find myself 6 entries behind...

By Blogger dancing_lemur, at July 5, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives