M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Tuesday, July 21, 2009  

Dig It, Part II

So it's been a few months since I wrote about starting a vegetable garden this summer, and I realize you're all breathlessly awaiting an update. I appreciate you keeping your impatience to yourselves. I hate to be rushed.

Not long after that entry, a lot of our seedlings started getting too big to keep living in those tiny Matrix cells we had them in. Trash transferred a bunch of them into larger containers like sawed-off milk cartons and plastic trays and even, in one particularly bizarre case, an actual planter. We thought they'd be happy to be out in something more like the real world where they could properly grow themselves some roots and eyebrows, but not all of them made it. The pumpkins, in particular, seemed to know what we had planned for them in October and wanted no part of it. They preferred to commit suicide by sawing their stems off against the sharp edges where I'd cut the tops off their milk cartons. That's how we learned not to put plants in sawed-off milk cartons any more.

At the beginning of May, we laid out our garden plot in the backyard. Deciding how much space to use was easy: it was dictated by how big of a frame I could make out of the ten- and twelve-foot-long two-by-twelves that had been sitting in the garage since we finished building the deck a decade and a half ago. Those were probably the biggest pieces of scrap lumber in the neighborhood, and now they've been put to a much more worthwhile purpose than they had before. Previously, their job was to make it difficult for me to get my ladders out.

A few weeks later, Trash and I got tired of bringing a growing number of plant receptacles out of the house every morning and back in every night, so most of the plants came out of the pots (and milk cartons, and trays, and buckets, and that one hat) and went into the ground. After that was done, we gazed at them, looking like small, vulnerable, distant constellations in a vast field of black soil, irrevocably committed to braving the elements, and resigned ourselves to their inevitable death.

Which, oddly, didn't happen. We watered at least once every day, usually twice, except the days when it rained, and the days after the rained, and I think one time the day after the day after it rained. Trash kept it weeded and cleared out the fallen leaves, twigs, seed pods, and airplane parts. M. Edium yelled out the back door at Squirrel Goodnut when he caught him on a raid. And this weird thing happened: the plants started getting bigger.

An even weirder thing happened: we started being able to identify the plants. When Trash did the transferring, the little signs that I'd made out of popsicle sticks didn't all make it into the ground. Still, somehow Trash seems to have kept track of what everything is, even though three months ago we wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between a squash vine and a brain tumor.

Shall I get more specific? Shall I post pictures? Would you be able to stand the thrill of it all?

Perhaps, just to be safe, I'll put that off for a couple of days. Give you time to make sure your have blood pressure medication and a defibrillator on hand to help you deal with the excitement.

posted by M. Giant 10:09 PM 3 comments

3 Comments:

Please post pics. I'm doing my first veggie garden this year as well and would love to see yours.

By Anonymous Jenn, at July 22, 2009 at 8:29 AM  

I'd love to see it too! I planted a big garden with a friend this summer. We're starting to get cherry tomatos and cucumbers, and the watermelon and corn is on their way too! as are the peppers and squash.

it's pretty cool to eat what grew from a tiny seed I planted back in April!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 22, 2009 at 1:50 PM  

I want pictures! Especially of any food you have grown. I tried tomato plants on the front stoop but all I grew were weeds.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 23, 2009 at 6:20 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives