M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, May 13, 2009  

Mother's Day

Trash is taking over again to start the story of Mother's Day with M. Edium. If you want to hear how I spent the day, that entry is upcoming, or you can read my recap of what I did that night.

M. Giant is always making these elaborate plans for Mother's Day, and then we end up at home, he and M. Edium make me breakfast and buy me coffee (neither of them can use a coffee maker. Yet. It's still in my education plans for M. Edium) and then we travel to visit all of the mothers in our lives. So this year, we decided to break that pattern completely. We made plans to go camping from Friday to Sunday someplace near Lacrosse, WI. Sure it's early, but it's been warm and I LOVE camping, so it's a perfect Mother's Day gift.

Then M. Giant was asked to travel to NYC to attend (and write about) TARcon, and instead of camping and being treated like a log-cabin queen, I was staying home and taking care of M. Edium alone for a couple of days. The best laid plans, and all.

So I asked M. Edium what he wanted to do instead, and after I shot down idea A: we go camping anyway, without daddy (umm, no) and B: we spend the day watching all of his Land Before Time videos (oh, HELL no) we hit on option C: a road trip with Mommy and M. Edium. Since I don't work Mondays, we could spend the night, maybe in a hotel with a pool. We battered around a few ideas for places to visit, then hit on Red Wing, a historic town about 2 ½ hours southeast of the cities. I happen to like Red Wing a lot, and a couple of hours isn't too long alone in the car, so a plan was made.

We meant to prepare on Saturday, packing snacks and clothes and movies and such, but then M. Edium chose Saturday to have one of his rare but excruciating days of pushing every button we have and overall acting like a snot. I know I should be grateful that these days are few and far between, but when they hit… after all, there is a reason his teachers all make a point at conferences of saying, “My, he is stubborn, isn't he?” Every teacher, every meeting. They also make a point of saying he is a model student, who always obeys the teachers and rarely gets in trouble (snort) but they are still oh-so-correct.

Anyway, with no prep for a trip out of town, and with no certainty that the trip would happen as planned, I woke M. Edium up before 7 a.m. so we could drop Dad off at the airport. The boy was an angel. No complaints, total listening, no pushing. Interesting. We drop Dad off, and go out to a celebratory mom breakfast at McDonald's (sigh). Still, angel behavior, lots of kisses and hugs and I love yous and You are the BEST MOM EVERs.

Side note – McDonald's is packed with dads with their kids. Not a single mom in sight, other than me. In pity, several dads came over to talk to me as we watched our kids climb on the indoor climbing thing. Studiously avoided asking why I am there with the boy, but made a point to say Happy Mothers Day and to tell me to take some time for myself, too. Strangest McDonalds trip ever. Only other woman in the closed-off indoor play area was a woman with no children, on the phone, who was IRATE that the kids were making so much noise. In the play area. CLosed off from the rest of the place. In fact, the only crowded area in an otherwise empty restaurant. She kept yelling into her phone "You will have to speak up. I can't hear a THING over all these KIDS." and then sighing. Pissed me off so much that I started yelling greetings to M. Edium up in the play structure, just to irate her.

Considering that M. Edium was so well-behaved, and since we didn't have any plans scheduled for the day, we decided that we would try for the road trip to Red Wing. We went home to pack up some food and beverages (and M. Edium packed a few stuffed animals and some books) and we were on the road by 8:30.

This is already turning into a long day. I'll try to get more than two hours into it in the next part.

Labels:

posted by M. Giant 8:09 PM 2 comments

2 Comments:

We had one of those terrible days, but it was on mothers day itself. Ah well.

By Anonymous Tami, at May 14, 2009 at 8:50 AM  

M Giant, I'm so sorry I didn't know you were going to be at TARcon. I would have loved to have said hello. Maybe next time.

By Anonymous Bo, at May 14, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives