M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Tuesday, April 07, 2009  

WTF Photos

When I started thinking about what I might want to discuss next on my husband's blog. I wasn't sure what topic to choose (and no, thanks for the encouragement, but I have no desire to have a blog of my own. I would then feel obligated to write, which would result in pissy postings that stressed how little I wanted to write. I am not a writer. I am a filler-inner. I don't really want to be a writer, but I do want to force my ramblings on others from time to time. This way I can write when I want to and run in the other direction when I don't. It's best for all of us, really).

Where was I? Oh, what to write. Initially I intended to write about M. Edium's garden project that he has roped me into assisting, despite my total lack of experience, knowledge, or green thumb. I planned to include pictures of the hatching plants (or whatever you call them) and then take recommendation on what exactly to do next. Don't think you are off the hook or anything. I will simply write about that problem next week, when the plants are that much taller and the problem more dire. No, today I want to discuss WTF pictures.

You know the kind I mean. You're looking through old photo albums, or the photo section of My Documents on your computer, and you come across a folder or a picture that you can't remember taking. Moreover, you can't imagine why anyone would ever want to take the picture, much less keep it for others to enjoy later. Sure, in 1890 when you were lucky to ever have a photo taken of the ones you loved, you couldn't complain of a bad hair day. But today? With digital photos able to be erased in a second? It seems as though you might want to erase a shot or two.

Recently M. Edium was asking to see pictures of me when I was in school, and instead of digging through storage boxes in the basement to find photos of my younger self, I pulled up some pictures within the last 5-10 years of me and my grad school buddies. No, most of the pictures weren't taken while we were in school but on subsequent trips and vacations when we would get together, but I figured he wouldn't know the difference. Besides, he has met my closest friends from grad school, Chao, CorpKitten, Babo (a.k.a. Surly Asian), and Rockhack - or as our professors called us, the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Yes, there were five of us, and no, I am not kidding.

Anyway, I found a folder or two of pictures entitled Horsemen and pulled up a bunch taken on our trip to Vegas when we finished grad school (literally just finished. At least three of us had either a final or a paper due within hours of catching our planes). Upon seeing the pictures I was quickly forced to ask myself a serious question: Why would you ever feel the need to keep this photo?

33378_18

No, seriously, why? There were dozens of pictures taken that day - I still have most of them in the same folder - and most of the others are either cute or make sense. This shot is neither, and it isn't flattering to anyone, really. That's Chao on the right, auditioning for the International Male catalog. That's me in the center, obviously pretending to be in a music video for Whitesnake. And that's Babo on the left, who is either blind and can't see what his friends are doing, or he is pretending not to see us. Regardless, why would you take this picture? (Corpkitten? Rockhack?) Moreover, why would I keep it? It's not like I can use it to blackmail someone. I mean, look at me. I don't exactly blend.

Perhaps you might argue that I would keep that particular photo because it reminds me of an awesome trip with some of my closest friends. OK, sure, perhaps the 500 other photos of the trip weren't enough, and Babo at least looks normal. So why keep this one?

p0000425

Or this one?

p0000632

There isn't anyone in our party in the shot, just some random abdomens that I apparently cherish.

What about this one:

hookerlips1

I think I am putting on lipstick. Yes, I certainly need to keep that picture forever. Otherwise, how will I remember how to do it again?

There are others (oh lord, there are others) but I love my friends and fear their wrath. It just makes me wonder. I am sure at the time it all made perfect sense, but in retrospect? Perhaps it's time to cull.

And just in case you think we can't ever take attractive pictures, we do clean up sometimes:

seraphim

posted by M. Giant 7:27 PM 7 comments

7 Comments:

Ah, yes, the WTF pictures. I am familiar with these, and the corollary 'WTF Cell phone pictures.' These are the pictures that have accumlated on my cell phone, until I look and say 'WTF! 284 pictures? Where TF have THESE come from? Is that my neice's chin?'

I need a fairy or gremlin of some sort to follow me around and erase these behind me. Taking applications (pay is dirt. literally).

By Blogger stacey, at April 7, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

My eyes! Oh, my eysabadsjhfgadfg

By Blogger Febrifuge, at April 7, 2009 at 11:43 PM  

It was WINDY, Febrifuge! Seriously gale force winds and I'm wearing a silk hawaiian shirt (not made by the Amish, so the buttons wouldn't stay closed). I'm a pasty white guy, so I've got no business intentionally wearing an unbottoned shirt of any sort. It was mother nature having her way with me!

By Blogger Chao, at April 8, 2009 at 7:16 AM  

I don't argue the wind - I mean, look at my hair - I argue that the picture is insane, and I can't imagine why we didn't erase it post-haste.

By Anonymous Trash, at April 9, 2009 at 6:39 AM  

You guys are so cute! Not in the top picture, but in the bottom one. So who is Corpkitten and who is Rockhack? Also, Chao and Trash look exactly the same. How many years ago were these pictures? Do you guys ever age?

By Anonymous Michelle E, at April 9, 2009 at 7:41 AM  

I want to see the rest of the pictures. How scary can four college friends be?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 9, 2009 at 8:22 AM  

How scary can they be? Well, Trash and I were viewing said old photos with M.Giant last night, in fact. We found out how scary they can be. Trash was not at all happy with the collection of "unfavorable" photos I have collected over the years, not just of her, but of many of our friends (including an ewwwww photo of M.Giant himself). There were threats of physical violence...

By Blogger Chao, at April 10, 2009 at 6:34 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives