M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Tuesday, October 07, 2008  

Out and About

As I may or may not have mentioned here, we’re taking M. Edium to Florida later this month. The Orlando region, specifically. So what do you do with a nearly-four-year-old in that area? I mean, we don’t want him to get bored or anything, sitting around. If only there were some kind of theme park or, I don't know, rockets of some sort in the area. If anyone has any recommendations, please feel free to share. We don't want to have to pack too many DVDs.

* * *

Of course, if we were going to the other end of the country, and two weeks later, I'd just bring him to this. Ever since our dinner in July, when Pamie eased herself onto her broken tailbone into the seat across from me and told me her eight-wheeled secret, I've been hoping to see her in action someday. And I don't think I can count on E! having perfect timing if they're going to call me back out. So go for me. I'd ask you to get something to put on YouTube, but that's against the rules, and if there's one thing I learned at that dinner, you do not want to piss off a Derby Doll. They're dangerous enough when they're in neutral.

* * *

I'm also trying to get M. Edium to a concert at Orchestra Hall some time this season. Two years ago, we got tickets for me and him to take in a matinee of Peter and the Wolf or something. But then, on the way to the concert, he fell asleep in the car and refused to wake up, no matter how many quick stops, jumps, or bootlegger turns I did. So we went home and he finished his nap in his bed as opposed to the second balcony.

This year we're playing it safe. He doesn't take afternoon naps any more, and thus doesn't fall asleep in the car during the day And more to the point, we're not paying for the tickets. I entered a drawing instead. I realize this limits our chances of actually securing tickets, but this way if we don't get to go, I take a nap. Seems only fair.

* * *

He had his first-ever swimming lesson this week, at the school across the street. It's only a half-hour session, so it's really not that big a time investment. Once you factor in the packing, walking over, changing, showering, showering again, drying off, changing again (with some additional drying off thrown in as necessary) and unpacking, all with a wriggling child, the whole thing ended up taking less than three hours out of my evening. Well worth it, now that he knows how to kick his feet in the water while I hold him.

posted by M. Giant 11:22 AM 4 comments

4 Comments:

Man, I loved swimming lessons as a kid. My poor mother had not only me and my sister to take, but also the three kids from next door (all five of us between the ages of 5 and 10). It was probably hell for her, but we loved it. That bleach-y, chlorine smell still takes me back...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 7, 2008 at 3:44 PM  

If you'd like some fun things to do in Orlando that aren't as touristy...I'd suggest things like the Orlando Science Center. Sounds stupid, but we LOVED it as kids. They have a killer Imax theater there. Try New Smyrna Beach (much calmer than Daytona), too. I practically grew up there. Manny's pizza at NSB is the best.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 7, 2008 at 4:15 PM  

MG-

I'll try to knock someone down out there for M. Edium.

(thanks!)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 8, 2008 at 8:25 AM  

You totally have to take him to Wonder Works:

http://www.wonderworksonline.com/

It entertained Febrifuge's inner child for hours!

Heidi

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 9, 2008 at 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives