M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Friday, October 10, 2008  

Florida, Day 2

After spending much of the day at Kennedy Space Center, we decamped to the condo where we're spending the balance of the trip. It's different from where we were last night. That was a fairly basic hotel, an ex-Clarion with a giant courtyard a range of bars and restaurants (all closed), and apparently no other guests other than us. During the initial chaos of loading into our room last night, M. Edium pointed out to me where he'd stepped on a bug next to the door. I deferred dealing with it for a few minutes, partly because it looked like he'd merely crushed a large chocolate. One with a whole walnut in it or something. The thing he was pointing at was way too big to be an ex-bug. Let alone one that he'd stepped on barefoot without freaking out.

But then, when I had time, I returned to the site and discovered what was in fact a disassembled palmetto bug. You know how most bugs leave a smear or a dark spot? This one left a debris field.

I was impressed, and a little freaked out on his behalf. "You stepped on that?" I confirmed.

"Yeah," he said calmly.

"Did it bite you or anything?"

"No."

What was it like?" I persisted.

"I put my foot on it and it felt ew," he explained.

"I bet it did."

"I think I'll wear my shoes next time."

"Good idea."

Then we went out to the pool. I wanted to point out the little lizard taking the sun on the brick border around the hedges, but it scampered out of sight into the greenery. Fortunately, upon closer inspection, four more were clearly visible from where we were standing. So he didn't miss out entirely.

Haven't seen any non-human animal life at the new condo so far. Which is only one of the ways in which there's an entirely different vibe here. We could get used to this.

posted by M. Giant 6:29 PM 4 comments

4 Comments:

When we were at WDW back in August, there were lizards and toads everywhere. (This is a novel thing to us, as the only wildlife seen in abundance in our neighborhood are deer, grasshoppers, snails and Canada geese.)

Unfortunately, there were also tourists everywhere, and apparently tourists and lizards and toads aren't necessarily a good mix. Talk about debris fields - we had to quickly switch from playing "count how many lizards/toads we see along the walk" to "hey, look up there in the sky!" several times to avoid forever traumatizing our kid by the sight of cute little critter guts smooshed and spread along the path. Ew ew and ew.

Glad the trip's going well so far, ginormous bugs notwithstanding!

By Blogger Heather, at October 10, 2008 at 6:42 PM  

I once ducked out after dark to put trash in the bin and stepped on a large slug. With my bare foot.

That also felt ew.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 10, 2008 at 9:09 PM  

Ahhh, Palmetto Bugs. The flying roaches of the south. I file that under "things I don't miss about living in that region of the country." Enjoy!

By Blogger kate, at October 13, 2008 at 12:41 PM  

Whoa. ****. Wait. Palmetto bugs can FLY!? Holy crap, I'm never going south again.

By Blogger livingjetlag, at October 27, 2008 at 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives