M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, October 01, 2008  

Drive

Hey, what's up?

Oh, I'm sorry. Was that a bit shady of me, to just start things out with a link like that? Well, if so, I don't really care.

Because it's time for Sarah's Tomato Nation contest, and as always, we really want to help her meet her goal. Not just because it's a great cause aimed at helping educate the kids who will one day be expected to take care of us and fix this country we broke so bad, but because of what Sars will do if she makes it.

Two years ago, she shaved her head. Last year, she danced around 30 Rock in a giant tomato costume. This year, if donors reach the goal, she's putting the tomato costume back on and taking the train to Washington, D.C. Who knows what'll happen next year -- she might dance to D.C. in the tomato costume and shave Joe Lieberman's head.

Obviously all the Velcrometer ad money from this month is going there. Plus all of M. Edium's birthday money. It's not like anyone ever remembers what they got for their fourth birthday anyway.

Here's what we've supported so far:

"Drumming Our Way to Success." We first noticed M. Edium's fascination with the percussive arts when he wandered in front of the TV while the climactic scene from "Drumline" was on playing on TBS or something. He was riveted. Today, he claims that he's going to be a trumpeter when he gets older, but in the meantime, he sure enjoys his little drum set. And every drum set in every music store we ever go into.

"Boys Love Books Too!" (already funded) No kidding. Ours certainly loves his bedtime stories, his dinnertime stories, his breakfast-time stories, his snacktime stories, and his eclipse-time stories. He even likes driving-time stories, even when he's alone in the back seat with nobody to read them to him and he has to hold the book high up and open so I can read it in the rearview mirror. Other drivers don't seem to like those stories as much.

"We're All 'Write!'" (already funded) M. Edium once asked me, "Daddy, why are you writing all the time?" I've been drafting an e-mail response to him ever since. But not all kids grow up in homes where writing happens at all, and the process can become intimidating for them. Hence the writing center Mrs. G. wants to create in her classroom. I was encouraged to write when I was in early grade school, by teachers as well as my parents, and it helped make me the writer I am today. No, you can't have their names.

"No Scientist Left Behind." Science is M. Edium's favorite part of school. One time he literally came running out of the bathroom with his pants around his ankles when he thought science was about to start. Part of his interest is because they get to do hands-on type of stuff instead of confining lessons to a textbook that he wouldn't be able to read yet anyway. Mrs. R. wants to be able to do the same for her classrooms with Science Activity Kits, even if her kids can read the books. After all, which do you remember more from grade school: your textbook's chapter on photosynthesis, or the time your class brought a quantity of plutonium to critical mass? I thought so.

So please give to one of these, or pick your own. Do it quickly, though, because these babies have a tendency to fill up. And when a six-foot tomato boards the train for the nation's capital, you're going to want a piece of that action, for sure.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, I'm donating a prize: it's a signed, personalized copy of A TV Guide to Life, to go with the unsigned one you no doubt already own. And I promise I'll get this one out faster than I did to the winner of the same prize in the Dewey Donation Drive this spring. It's already in my house, for one thing. And it's already made out to you. How did I know you'd win? I'll explain on the flyleaf.

Update: Trash reminded me of a fifth project we're helping fund, "My Most Requested Books, or I'll Die If I Can't Read This!" (already funded) That happened to a kid I knew. Tragic, and so preventable.

posted by M. Giant 7:39 PM 4 comments

4 Comments:

Unless there's more than one M. Giant running around Minneapolis, I'm guessing you were one of the donors that helped fund my proposal (aka I'll Die If I Don't Read This--true quote from one of my students.)

Consider this a massive thank you not only from me, but from my students. You and your fellow donors rock.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 2, 2008 at 9:16 AM  

Tell M. Edium that I'll make it up to him on the birthday tip.

But I ain't touching Joe Lieberman.

By Blogger Sarah D. Bunting, at October 2, 2008 at 4:25 PM  

If I win the signed copy, I'll give my unsigned copy to an uninformed friend. It's important to spread the love.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 3, 2008 at 8:23 AM  

I agree. If I win your signed book, I will gift my unsigned copy to a worthy beneficiary.

- JeniMull

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 3, 2008 at 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives