M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, September 10, 2008  

This and That

I'm a bit starved for topics lately. The combination of writing for other blogs (one of which I'll give you a heads-up on next week -- it's a pretty sweet guest gig), plus Twittering, plus having one's brain cells decimated by spending more hours watching and thinking about Big Brother than does Julie Chen (who, to be fair, does neither) amounts to a bit of blog-block. Add to that the fact that as a telecommuter I hardly ever leave the house and thus encounter way fewer idiots in the wild than I used to, and it's a deadly combination. I've always been annoyed by bloggers who post about how little they have to say, so the fact that I'm doing it now is probably not a good sign.

Still, I do have a few things to talk about today, even if they're not funny.

Which they're not.

* * *

First of all, I keep forgetting to mention that I got interviewed and written up by the Washington Times last week, about the book. The resulting piece is here.

A bit of interview trivia for you: my cell phone reception inside my house is so crappy that I have to talk to the press from the sidewalk when they call. Except while I was talking to the guy from the Times it kept raining on and off so I had to alternate between hanging out in the drizzle to keep my phone working and ducking back inside to keep it from never working again. Hey, I told you it was trivia.

* * *

Another thing I keep meaning to mention is the ads on the right of your screen. Trash is in charge of that kind of thing, and she wanted me to mention that the money we get from them goes to charity. So when you click on them, you're making the world a better place. Infinitesimally better, granted, but far be it from me to downplay your contribution.

Generally the money goes to either Kiva or Donors Choose. Yes, we know that the Kiva donations are technically loans, and we get paid back by the people overseas who have "borrowed" from us. When that happens, we of course re-loan the money, and the interest, to someone new. Which is cool because with every cycle, the amount we have available to loan gets bigger and the next recipient can do more with it. Like, you don't think that new supercollider just happened, do you?

Still, maybe you have some objection to the revenue from your clickthroughs going to classrooms or family entrepreneurs in need. Say no more: Trash wants your suggestions for other charities. In addition to the two already mentioned, we've previously contributed to Malaria No More, the Heifer Project, Modest Needs, and Second Harvest. Of course I would never stop you from making your own donation to any of those fine organizations. In fact, click on any one of those and their site will open in a new window so you can do just that and then come right back here without getting lost.

Now Trash is looking for four new charities, to go along with continued donations to Kiva and Donors Choose. Only three requirements:

1) Nothing too big. General rule: if it can afford TV ads, it's not what we're looking for.

2) Nothing overtly political or religious. Sorry, Rosicrucians to Elect Vermin Supreme, them's the rules. REVS will just have to look elsewhere.

3) Finally, we're looking for charities with Internet-based models. We like to do stuff online (see opening paragraph).

Oh, and then e-mail them to me. As you no doubt realize, it doesn't count if you just think about them.

* * *

There was a third thing, but I see that I've already succeeded in padding this entry out enough that I can stop right here and put off that other topic until I've got more to say about it. See you then.

posted by M. Giant 7:59 PM 13 comments

13 Comments:

Women for Women is a great group. It's micro-lending that focusies on women in war-torn countries to help them get themselves adn their families back on their feet. Charity Navigator thinks they rock.

http://www.womenforwomen.org/
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=7623

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 11, 2008 at 6:32 AM  

How about Homes for our Troops? They do amazing work with vets returning from war with disabilities. They help them build homes and raise money to help the families.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 11, 2008 at 6:58 AM  

I support the Center for Victims of Torture: the web site

The names says it all, and I think they are based in MN.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 11, 2008 at 7:45 AM  

my two cents:

Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America
http://www.ccfa.org/

By Blogger Teslagrl, at September 11, 2008 at 12:41 PM  

This is a fantastic idea, completely internet-born and raised, that helps keep girls in some of the poorest parts of Africa from dropping out of school because they can't afford feminine hygiene products. The charity sponsors the making (most are home-made) and distribution of reusable (not wastefully disposable) pads.

www.goods4girls.org

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 11, 2008 at 1:32 PM  

Our favorite charity is MDA. My husband has muscular dystrophy but more than that, so many kids have it. So many kids that were previously thought to be whole and healthy and able suddenly stop being able to run, jump, and play. The MDA is doing all they can to find a cure in order to help these kids be kids.

By Blogger Finding My New Normal, at September 11, 2008 at 5:24 PM  

We give to Action Against Hunger, which I think I first saw on an ad on your blog. Full circle, I guess.

http://www.aah-usa.org/

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 11, 2008 at 8:35 PM  

Considering what's happening in the southern part of our world tonight, I want to plug the First Response Team - http://www.firstresponseteam.org/

They get into a community right after the event, figuring out what that area needs. They have some incredible equipment that lets them get to people we might otherwise lose - think Katrina - and they were already in LA after Gustav.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 11, 2008 at 8:39 PM  

Along with Donors Choose, we support Child's Play, which donates games and movies to childrens' cancer wards:

http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

And St Baldricks, because my friend will shave his head and that's something I pay cash money for.

http://www.stbaldricks.org/

Oddly I have never known a child with cancer and it's honestly not something near and dear to my heart, it's a coincidence of opportunity (I love games, and seeing friends make fools of themselves.) But a worthy one I think.

By Blogger GhostGirl, at September 13, 2008 at 6:31 AM  

I've been a lurker for...ever, but I had to put the charity I've been supporting with my time for years, Friends Together, into the mix. It's based in Florida and is a nonprofit that works with kids, adults and their family/friends that are affected by the virus. The woman who runs it, Cathy Robinson-Pickett, has one of the most incredible stories I've ever heard. Check out the website. http://www.friendstogether.org

By Blogger Lindsay Sweeting, at September 14, 2008 at 6:54 AM  

If I could suggest my personal charity of choice:

http://www.spdfoundation.net/

To quote from their website, "By conservative estimates, 1 in every 20 children experiences symptoms of Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) that are significant enough to affect their ability to participate fully in everyday life. Among gifted children and children with autistic spectrum disorders and some other conditions, the numbers are much higher."

(And yes, my five year old daughter is one of those children with SPD, and it hasn't been an easy road for her or the many other kids we've met over the years who have to live with the effects of a malfunctioning sensory system. The SPD Foundation has our family's undying gratitude for leading the way in research and development of new therapies to help our kiddo and all the others living with the disorder.)

Thanks for letting me get a plug in for the cause nearest and dearest to my heart!

By Blogger Heather, at September 14, 2008 at 8:28 AM  

Hey , thanks for the name check.
When I'm not running for prez, I work with an alterna/secular/non-political 501-3c
disaster response group.
Spun out of a spontaneous effort post-Katrina, the New Waveland Cafe,ARRR is presently putting out 3,000 meals a day in Baton Rouge.
Check the links and thank you for your consideration.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/9/15/131654/135
http://www.americanrainbowrapidresponse.org

I am, Vermin Supreme!
Not just a one trick pony.
http://www.verminsupreme.com

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 16, 2008 at 7:32 PM  

How about the Hippo Roller?

http://www.hipporoller.org/getinvolved.php

Sounds like exactly the sort of program Trash likes.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 24, 2008 at 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives