M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Friday, September 19, 2008  

Sick of Me

Check it out -- next week, I'm going to be the guest blogger on the Penguin Blog. That is to say, the blog of Penguin Books, not a blog run by Antarctic sea birds. I doubt any actual penguins would let me guest-blog for them, but then there was a time that I would have said that about Penguin Books, too. You'll be able to read my posts there all week, assuming you don't get sick of me here.

Hey, that almost sounds like I just set a challenge for myself, doesn't it?

Trash and I had kind of a funny conversation last night, although I can't remember what it was about. After we finished cracking each other up, she said. "How can you say you don't have anything to put in your blog? Write about what we just talked about."

"I would," I said, "but most of our conversations are like this, so I never remember them afterward."

And sure enough, I don't.

Did you remember that today is Talk Like a Pirate Day? I didn't, until late in the day, just like every year. Of course, being a telecommuter, there wasn't anyone for me to annoy with it except Trash and M. Edium. I bet telemarketers look forward to it all year, though.

Talk Like a Pirate Day is like an annual microcosm of my general relationship to fads and trends, in the sense that once I've picked up on it and have joined in, it's over anyway. I can't tell you how much embarrassment I've saved myself since then, just by reminding myself of that simple rule and refraining from getting involved. This blog being the obvious exception. Oh, and pretty much every other bandwagon I hopped onto until I was 35, from cigars to swing dancing. Maybe even the trend of bloggers getting book deals, in which case I'm really sorry to anyone who was still planning on doing that.

This isn't a new thing, either. When I was five, suddenly one day all the kids my age in the neighborhood had Super Balls, and would climb up to the top of the tennis court fence to bounce them hundreds of feet in the air. I bugged my parents to get me one, and by the time they did, everyone else had moved on to yo-yos. I've been deeply suspicious of yo-yos ever since.

(Take a moment if you will to count the items in that last paragraph that date me. You got it -- the reference to five-year-olds being allowed to climb to the top of a tennis court fence is a dead giveaway.)

The converse is true as well. I never got into rap, even a little bit, and look what happened there.

Just now I took a moment to think back on the last soon-to-be-formerly-popular thing I belatedly took up and all I have to say is, "Oops. Sorry, piano. Well. you had a pretty good run."

Well, that should do it. See you at the Penguin Blog!

posted by M. Giant 7:45 PM 4 comments

4 Comments:

Dead give away on age...climbing to the top of the fence! Good to see you after...14/15 years?!

By Blogger Matthews, at September 20, 2008 at 7:06 PM  

If your getting into something makes it suddenly passe, I can think of a number of things I think you should look into, starting with rap and moving on to Monday mornings!

Pearl

By Blogger Pearl, at September 22, 2008 at 7:00 AM  

The penguins might let you guest blog for them, but you'd have to dress formally. They're sticklers for the rules like that.

By Blogger Chao, at September 22, 2008 at 10:51 AM  

I work at the Trader Joes in St. Louis Park and we totally celebrated Talk Like A Pirate Day at the store, some in costume. Though we're all kinda lame too...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 26, 2008 at 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives