M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, September 03, 2008  

Coming Out in the Wash

The nice thing about telecommuting is that I can throw a load of laundry in during a mid-Tuesday lull. The tricky part about telecommuting is that by the time you get another lull to transfer it from the washer to the dryer -- or, more accurately, a lull in which you remember or are motivated enough to do so -- it may be Thursday evening.

So, yes, our washer is perfectly nice, but it lacks whatever feature would allow me to leave wet clothes in it for days without them starting to smell kind of funny. Unfortunately, this is bundled with my nose, which doesn't always detect funny smells. And so it was that by the end of the week, I had put away at least one load of laundry that had a bit of a funky aura. I should have known something was up when I was awoken on Friday morning by Trash throwing a towel on my face. In that position, even I had to concede that it wasn't exactly April fresh.

See, if I weren't the only one in the house with the insensitive nose, it wouldn't have been so bad. We all could have been content, ignorant in our stinkiness and oblivious to my incompetence. Alas, this was not the case.

Even that wouldn't have been so bad if this past weekend hadn't coincided with our visit to Trash's mom in Iowa, four hours away. We packed for the trip in about five minutes, just grabbing whatever was in the front of the closet and the top of the drawer, clothes for all three of us crammed into one small duffel.

So Trash was a little bit grumpy when we went to unpack and she discovered that everything in there was redolent of damp feet. And the stuff that wasn't stinky before certainly was now. Even M. Edium kept saying, "I smell something baaaad." Sorry, kid. That would be your pajamas.

At least it was only a short trip, and we were staying literally across the road from a Wal-Mart, where I went and picked up some cheap clothes for that night and the next day. I don't know what we would have done had we discovered the situation after arriving for, say, a three-month visit to Everest Base Camp. Also, Trash's mom had a couple of outfits that she was going to give M. Edium for his birthday. Suffice to say that he got them early.

But the upside of all this is that instead of putting off laundry when we got home like I usually do, I had a load in while the heat was still ticking out of the engine of Trash's car. So clearly I've learned my lesson.

Now I should get going. The dryer stopped yesterday and I should probably get the clothes out of it before they wrinkle.

posted by M. Giant 7:16 PM 3 comments

3 Comments:

It's much easier to just throw out your dirty clothes and buy new ones.

By Blogger Yaniv, at September 4, 2008 at 9:32 AM  

What we need are clothes that repel stink or come pre-loaded with Stink-B-Gone...

Pearl

By Blogger Pearl, at September 5, 2008 at 11:05 AM  

We forget about clothes in the washer all the time too. Next time, don't try to dry them yet--instead, toss a 1/2 cup of baking soda into the washer and run a rinse-n-spin cycle. Presto! (Just remember this time to take the clothes out and dry them...)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives