M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Sunday, August 24, 2008  

Inside Out

Today I spent a few minutes on an ongoing project. It's something I've been doing on and off for a while, but I've recently decided to get back to it in earnest.

It's not an exciting project, by any means. When we bought our house, our garage was insulated but not sheetrocked. What this meant was that when you walked in, the first thing you saw was silver paper backing with yellow fiberglass insulation behind it in every direction, in all four walls and the ceiling. I believed the first thing I said when the realtor first showed us the house is that it kind of had a Las Vegas feel.

Over the years, all manner of vermin have made their homes in that insulation, storing giant stashes of stolen birdseed and what have you in there. So my parents suggested tearing out all the insulation and then putting in new sheetrock, to discourage the mice and chipmunks and neighborhood cats from doing whatever they do in our garage insulation.

(We're aware that this would not discourage Squirrel Goodnut. We think he's had a key made.)

They offered to come over one day and help me pull it all out and they would haul it off in their pickup. Which sounded fine to me, but I had the idea that I'd get a head start. On Sundays, if there was still room in the trash bin, I'd pull down a strip or two and stuff it in. At the very least the pickup would only have to make one trip that way.

Like I said, I've started doing this on a more regular basis in recent weeks. Since we started recycling all our cardboard and plastic, I've noticed that there's a lot of extra space in our trash bin every week. I figured I might as well make use of it.

But before then, I kind of skipped a few weeks. Or longer. Like, some weeks I would just forget. Others I would have too much other stuff to do on Sunday and just not get to it. Or it was around the holidays, and we had more trash than usual. Or we had just adopted a newborn baby, and our lives had been turned upside down.

So, yes, this has been an on-and-off project for about six years now, give or take. But now I think I'm getting my momentum back. Especially since Trash had us organize and clean out the garage last week, I'm feeling more motivated to turn that space into something decent. In fact, another big bundle of itchy, birdseed-inundated fiberglass went into the trash this very day. At this rate, I think I'm on track to have new walls up in there at some point in my mid-fifties. You know, barring any unforeseen obstacles.

posted by M. Giant 8:16 PM 2 comments

2 Comments:

LOL! The funniest part is that it would only take about an hour with all three of you and the pick-up to toss it in. :)

Also, just so it doesn't sound like as much work, my Dad and I put in all new insulation and sheetrocked his garage in two days (while I was home for vacation- some vacation-heh!). The insulation was super easy- I think we got that done in like 5-6 hours. I'd cut, using a measured piece as a model, and then keep tossing pieces up to him on the ladder. The sheetrock took longer because his garage is very old so the studs and height were both wrong, which meant cutting many, many pieces. Still, though, I think you could get it in a weekend with help. And think of how awesome you'd feel for it to get done before M.Edium's high school graduation!

By Blogger Auburn Tiger, at August 25, 2008 at 2:56 PM  

Nah - just add another kid and you can avoid this for even longer!

- JeniMull

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 26, 2008 at 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives