M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Friday, August 08, 2008  

He's back.

I was working on my Burn Notice recap tonight while Trash watched the opening cermonies downstairs. Suddenly I heard her giving the kind of whoops of joy that one doesn't emit until the actual competition has begun. In fact, I think the last time I heard that kind of noise from her was when Kerri Strug stuck her crippled landing in Atlanta in 96, and maybe not even then.

Obviously, I had to go down and see what was up. When I got there, she couldn't even speak. What she was saying sounded like gibberish:

"Peter Vagger Hogenbaggen!" she cried.

But it wasn't gibberish to me. "He's back?" I said in amazement. "I thought '04 was his last Olympics."

"Me too! In fact I was watching the athletes from the Netherlands and I was all sad because no Peter Vagger Bagger Dagger this year. But then there he was! Pigger Vlogger Hooter Bugger! I'm totally watching the Olympics this year, if Peter Woggen Boggen Doggen is in them."

Note to NBC: get Pieter van den Hoogenband as a color commentator for the next few games after his retirement, and you'll have a loyal viewer for life.

posted by M. Giant 8:02 PM 8 comments

8 Comments:

I asked a co-worker if Peter van der Lederhosen was in the Olympics this year, and he knew exactly to whom I was referring.

By Blogger jac, at August 9, 2008 at 5:02 AM  

Oh my God, I miss Trash so much right this minute that I may burst into tears.

By Blogger Linda, at August 9, 2008 at 7:11 AM  

Who cares how to say his name - have you seen this man? I mean, have you seen him?!?! OMG. I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating stroopkoeken.

By Blogger Bunny, at August 9, 2008 at 9:26 AM  

He's Peter Van Der Haagen Daszen at our house.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 11, 2008 at 12:23 AM  

According to Wikipedia, his nicknames are VDH, The Flying Dutchman, The Dutch Dolfin, and "Hoogie." I like The Dutch Eel much better.

By Blogger Mrs. Mancuso, at August 11, 2008 at 9:37 AM  

Reminds me of the eleventh Wild Cards novel, where the Great and Powerful Turtle can't remember von Herzenhagen's name, so he refers to him variously as von Herzenberzen, von Harglebargle, von Hagendazs and von Handydandy.

By Blogger Matthew E, at August 11, 2008 at 12:29 PM  

Wow, is Trash in that book? Because that really does sound like her.

By Blogger Linda, at August 13, 2008 at 5:05 AM  

I'm so glad that you remembered the Dutch Eel. The '04 entry was one of my favorite of all time, and I was hoping for a revival.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 15, 2008 at 6:49 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives