M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Sunday, July 20, 2008  

On The Air

I was pretty nervous on Friday morning when I drove to the local NBC affiliate for my live TV appearance to plug the book. Trash and I had discussed possibly bringing M. Edium to the studio with us, but in the end we decided it would be best if they watched from somewhere else. We figured that having him along might introduce an unwelcome element of chaos into a professional setting where people are doing serious things.

And then I got there and discovered I was sharing the tiny green room (actually green!) with a singing cowboy, four children ages two, and a guy dressed like Teddy Roosevelt. M. Edium would have thought it was just a pretty crowded playdate with walking visual aids. Although I can't imagine he would have cared for it when the other four kids went out to go on camera and he'd have had to stay behind.

When you do press for a book, you don't seriously expect anybody to have read the book. You certainly don't expect everybody to have read the book. And the last thing you expect is for everybody to have read the whole book. But so far, that's what has happened. When they led me out to the morning show set and plunked me down in that chair across from Rob Hudson, he started going through all his favorite chapters with me, and even claimed he and his wife had been stealing his copy from each other. He either knew what he was talking about, is an excellent skimmer, or is a spectacular bullshitter. Part of a host's job is putting the guests at ease, and he certainly did his best at that, considering what a stress-monkey I was at the time.

By the way, they put those chairs reallyclosetogether. That's one thing I didn't learn from watching TV but should have: it doesn't look like it onscreen, but the guest's feet and the host's nearly overlap. I'm not a close-talker under the best of circumstances, but it was weird enough knowing my unmade-up mug was being broadcast in HD to God knew how many dozens of households without also sitting that close to someone I'd just met. I was quite conscious of having forgotten to floss.

But I guess it's time to stop stalling and just give you the link to the video. I also have the show saved on my DVR, but I haven't worked up the nerve to watch myself yet. Do me a favor: you watch it, and give me your honest opinion. But only if you honestly think I was awesome.

Here's the clip.

Immediately afterward, Trash and M. Edium called from her stepmother's house to tell me, "Great job!" And then in the parking lot I scraped the side of my car on a light pole, so that was outstanding.

posted by M. Giant 7:54 PM 7 comments

7 Comments:

"it was weird enough knowing my unmade-up mug was being broadcast in HD to God knew how many dozens of households..."

So, it would've been less weird if you had been wearing makeup?

Seriously, though, you did look good and not nervous at all, if a bit snug and cozy with the host (who definitely seemed like a fan of the book). Trash wasn't lying when she said "Great job!" Now you'll be prepared to go shoe-to-shoe with Matt or Meredith in the big time, right? And Trash and M.Edium can hang outside on the plaza with Al!

By Blogger Heather, at July 20, 2008 at 8:21 PM  

You did well,no noticeable sweating, a nice plug for TWOP and avoided answering a personal question. I would give you an A for a first time interviewee!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 20, 2008 at 9:41 PM  

Truly one of the better blog-writer interviews I've seen! Many writers look so dang uncomfortable onscreen and get cut off every time they try to say something. You sounded articulate, and looked genial (and handsome) the whole way through.

Great job!

~Leah
my pink toes

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 20, 2008 at 10:14 PM  

What Leah said. It was great!

By Blogger Anonymous Me, at July 21, 2008 at 6:31 AM  

Part of a host's job is putting the guests at ease, and he certainly did his best at that, considering what a stress-monkey I was at the time

By Blogger Unknown, at July 21, 2008 at 4:16 PM  

I used to work in local TV (NOT in front of the camera) and the on-air guys started panicking when we learned we were going HD. They all learned to apply a light powder foundation that didn't scream "I'M WEARING MAKE-UP" on-camera or off. They really did look much better with it. Something to consider next time you are on TV (and with such a great book I know this won't be your last TV appearance!)

By Blogger Bunny, at July 22, 2008 at 3:05 PM  

No lie, you were good. It could have been just a series of softball questions and wacky pithy remarks, but your actual personality emerged, and your smarts came across as well. Very solid.

By Blogger Febrifuge, at July 22, 2008 at 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives