M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Sunday, July 13, 2008  

Camping Photoblog

I'm going to tell you all about the reading in a couple of days (and properly thank everyone who came), but for now I'm resorting to the lazy blogger's refuge: photos. Plus you don't have to read as much, so everybody wins. Remember me mentioning that we went camping over Fourth of July weekend? Here's the view from just a few steps from our campsite at sunset:







Check out the glass-smooth surface of that lake. Pretty, right? It sure is. Except guess what a glass-smooth lake means. That's right, no wind. And no wind, at least this summer, means teeming hordes of bugs. Which would probably explain why all three of us came home with malaria, Lyme disease, and amebic dysentery. Still: pretty!



Trash is in charge of the kitchen.



And I'm in charge of erecting the shelter. That's a 13 x 13, three-room tent there, and if interruptions are kept to a minimum I can usually have it completely ready in twenty minutes. In the real world it's more like an hour and a half.



I don't know why I agreed to run down the path for the camera with a pajama-clad M. Edium. But I can assure you that despite appearances, this is not the only t-shirt I own.



Bringing a little one along on a camping trip is always a little unpredictable, but I think M. Edium was pleased with how well Turtle did.



M. Edium's s'more. Turns out he prefers the individual ingredients, and he prefers them uncooked. Hence the conspicuous absence of M. Edium in this shot.



It's hard to get M. Edium to bed before dark, which comes pretty late up here this time of year, which would explain why Trash looks so tired in this shot. Too bad you can't see her t-shirt. It says "TRASH." Off the rack.

We're going again later this week, because I think we can all use the additional time off. And it'll be nice to take a break from work, as well.

posted by M. Giant 8:57 AM 3 comments

3 Comments:

Ah, I love camping! Hopefully we'll be able to camp together - if not this year, then next year when we move back.

By Blogger Teslagrl, at July 13, 2008 at 8:09 PM  

Nice pictures! Yeah, you have to love that glassy water fo picture taking because other than that- it just leads to trouble. Heh!

I'm going camping in Denali this weekend on Wonder Lake (nrea McKinley) and I'm hoping for a breeze myself. But we're bringing mosquito hoods, just in case.

By Blogger Auburn Tiger, at July 14, 2008 at 2:23 PM  

I heard the Best Western doesn't have mosquitos. Or ticks.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 15, 2008 at 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives