M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Friday, June 20, 2008  

From Publisher's Weekly:

A TV Guide to Life: How I Learned Everything I Needed to Know From Watching Television
Jeff Alexander. Berkley, $15.50 paper (272p) ISBN 9780425221556
Alexander, a writer for notoriously acrid web site Television Without Pity, takes on the common wisdom that television rots your brains by examining the wealth of knowledge he’s gained through his lifelong pursuit of television viewing. Sly, wordy and tongue-in-cheek, Alexander offers commentary, insight and information that straddle the line between impassioned viewer and cagey insider. Limiting himself to pure entertainment (no public or educational television here), Alexander distills the influence that scripted dramas and comedies, past and present, have on collective views of school, life, love, jobs, medicine, cops, friends, superpowers and death. While he does raise valid, and funny, points while berating television’s glamorous, unrealistic portrayals of doctors, lawyers, cops and a particular group of city-dwelling friends, it’s always evident that he’s made his living dissecting television—something that may alienate the masses who watch television simply to be entertained, not to fuss over the differences between NBC’s fictionalized portrayal on 30 Rock and Studio 60. On the other hand, fellow television writers, industry insiders, critics and true media junkies should find some barbed laughs.(July)

Thanks, PW!

Still not too late to pre-order!

posted by M. Giant 12:02 PM 6 comments

6 Comments:

You've "made [your] living dissecting television"? That's going to come as a surprise to everyone who knows that's completely untrue. Fuck's sake, you'd think if they were going to make it the FOCUS OF THE REVIEW, they might actually find out whether it's true.

I had a similar thing happen when I learned through a review of the book (now known as The Book) that I had made my living as a dating expert. Which: HA HA HA HA!

Whatever, Publisher's Weekly. I've read the book, and the book is awesome, and you don't have to have been dissecting television professionally since you were an infant like Jeff Alexander to enjoy it.

By Blogger Linda, at June 20, 2008 at 1:12 PM  

I picked up a copy at the Borders on Michigan Avenue today. I hope you make oodles of money, since you've been entertaining me for free for several years.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 20, 2008 at 3:43 PM  

Can't wait to get my pre-ordered copy in the mail!

- JeniMull

By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 20, 2008 at 9:56 PM  

So, wait, Publisher's Weekly doesn't use the comma after the penultimate item in a list? What the FUCK, man.

They're right when they say good stuff about your book, though.

By Blogger Febrifuge, at June 23, 2008 at 7:29 PM  

In my defense, I am moving, and I am buried under boxes half the time. If losing my temper at Publishers Weekly is my worst offense of the week, I will be doing well.

By Blogger Linda, at June 24, 2008 at 5:28 AM  

I am the happiest girl in happytown because I received my VERY OWN signed copy in the mail today at work!!! Can't wait to read it, then buy copies for presents this Christmas.

By Blogger KellynGal, at June 24, 2008 at 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives