M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Thursday, May 01, 2008  

Green Telecommuting

Of all the things I like about my current day job, my favorite would have to be the fact that I get to work at home on Wednesday. It's not only convenient, it's a huge moneysaver. And it's good for the planet as well. Here's how:

When I telecommute, I don't have to drive to work. That means that I save money on gas, and reduce my carbon footprint, all at the same time. This became even more true when I stopped idling my car in the driveway all day just in case I was called into the office for an emergency.

I don't have to dress up to work at home. I can be just as productive in my pajamas, or in the previous day's clothes. This means we don't have to do as much laundry (which saves money on our gas and water bill) or buy as many clothes (which are expensive, and which I hate doing).

I also save money on our electricity by fully recharging my laptop at work the day before and then using the battery to do my work at home. This also has a twofold benefit: I'm able to work until about 11:30 in the morning or so before my battery punks out, and then I spend the rest of the day napping. Which, again, reduces my carbon footprint.

It's now getting nice enough that I can work outside on the back deck during the day. I just bring my laptop out, borrow the neighbors' wireless connection (it's not stealing if they know I'm doing it), and do my thing. That's not really economically or environmentally advantageous; I just like it.

Another cost benefit of working at home is the absence of vending machines tempting me with their overpriced, overpackaged wares. If I get hungry, I can just raid our own pantry. Which is free.

I would go even further, but since Trash usually works at home on Wednesdays as well, she insists that I flush the toilet every time I use it. I just hope she'll still be able to look our son in the eye when he's old enough to ask, "Mommy, what did you do to save the environment?"

posted by M. Giant 8:31 PM 2 comments

2 Comments:

Working outside lets you save electricity and keep an eye on all that nature you're saving. It also promotes physical well-being since you have to walk back into the house for supplies. Unless you're working in the middle of a veggie garden, in which case you can just graze.

I'm also on the Wednesday telecommute plan - or, as I like to call it, "No Pants Wednesday." Amazing how much work one can do without all those...people... around, isn't it?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 2, 2008 at 7:19 AM  

If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down.

Great rule of thumb, but what if there are other colors involved? Just wondering . . .

Word ver: riojt

By Blogger Bunny, at May 2, 2008 at 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives