M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Thursday, May 15, 2008  

Analyze This

M. Small has known how to spell his name for going on two years now. One summer day in 2006, he and I were out on the deck when I picked up a piece of his sidewalk chalk and wrote the first letter of his name while pronouncing said letter. He immediately spelled out the rest of his name by himself.

That's not to say he can write his name; when I gave him the chalk that day, the only thing he could seem to write out for himself was ///||\/((||/||\\((.

Writing has continued to elude him, even as he's learned the entire alphabet, every letter by sight, and how to verbally spell out "mom" and "dad" and "no" and "Saturn V." There are a few letters that he can form by arranging sticks or straws on a flat surface, but skills to write a letter of his own just aren't there yet.

At least not until he started school. Suddenly, last night, without warning, he wrote a couple of capital A's in pink chalk on the garage door. I think he might have been trying to spell his own name, but none of the other letters he formed are in it. I just don't think he's learned those letters yet, not that it kept him from trying. You know how people sometimes say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing?

Inquire in rear

So, do you think I should be worried that the my son's first written word is ANAL?

Also, do you think I should hose down the garage door before people start showing up to answer the ad?

I guess I've been posting public writings that embarrass him for the last three and a half years. A bit of turnabout seems only fair.

posted by M. Giant 12:32 PM 3 comments

3 Comments:

Delurking to comment because that's probably the funniest thing I've seen all week. M. Small is awesome.

By Blogger Jen, at May 15, 2008 at 3:33 PM  

Quick! Teach him to write 'OGY' and then show off how smart he is.

Unless he turns it into OGYANAL

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 16, 2008 at 4:45 AM  

Also delurking to say I am laughing so hard right now. Especially the part about hosing off the garage door before someone shows up to answer the ad. Can't... stop... laughing...

By Blogger Shamu & Lou, at May 22, 2008 at 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives