M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Monday, March 31, 2008  

Spring Has Sprung

There's nothing quite as magical or wonderful as the end of winter in Minnesota.

March 31, 2008, 7:00 p.m.

On Saturday night I dragged the Weber out of the garage, fired some dinner, and left the grill in the spot on the patio where it will sit (and, on weekends, cook) well into October.

Care for a GardenBurger?

Chao and his girlfriend are officially moving up here to the Twin Cities starting next week, which meant they needed to store a trailer full of stuff in the garage. I couldn't have been happier to hear this. Why? Because all winter long, whenever something needs to go from the house to the garage, it's too cold and dark out there for me to spend any time putting it in anything like the proper place, so I just kind of throw stuff in and dash back inside, leaving it in rather a state when spring comes. But Sunday, their need to store stuff meant we had two extra sets of hands when it came time to clean it out. Score! I basically just stayed out of their way, and instead busied myself with taking the patio furniture out of its long hibernation.

Let me wipe some of the dust off that chair for you before you sit down. Also, the inch of snow.

It was so nice, in fact, that Trash and I stayed out until it was time to make M. Small's lunch, raking and bagging leaves that had been buried under the permafrost since November.

I didn't feel like putting my boots on so I could get a close-up of the bags.

We talked about putting down some grass seed early, but decided to give it another couple of weeks.

And now this. What the fuck, Minnesota? April Fool's Day isn't until tomorrow, asshole.

posted by M. Giant 7:51 PM 11 comments

11 Comments:

Oh, WORD, M. Giant! I sent photos of the scene outside my office window today because no one would have believed it otherwise.

March 2008: In like a lion; out like a bigger, pissed-off lion.

By Blogger Katie L., at March 31, 2008 at 8:08 PM  

Oh yeah, word indeed. I blogged about the same, exact situation last week (with pictures, too) so I definitely feel your pain. Nothing worse than waking up on a "spring" morning to see everything outside looking like an Ansel Adams winter landscape.

Here for April Fool's Day we're supposed to hit 65 degrees, which is virtually unheard of warmth for this time of year. Then tonight? Plummeting temperatures and more of the evil S word. Not that we should be surprised, as thinking back to last April I recall the kiddo hunting for her Easter eggs in the snow. Short sleeves today and snow boots tomorrow...

By Blogger Heather, at April 1, 2008 at 4:37 AM  

After the last snowing debacle, I decided to superstitiously refuse to put my chairs back out on the porch, since clearly when I did so, it snowed.

It snowed anyway.

By Blogger lap, at April 1, 2008 at 7:27 AM  

Oh... HA HA HA ha ha ha ha, wait... what?

Arrrrgh.

Chicago is not a lot better, Mi Hermano.

By Blogger Febrifuge, at April 1, 2008 at 10:51 AM  

Michigan didn't get the memo either.

By Blogger Bunny, at April 1, 2008 at 1:11 PM  

In Colorado, our snowiest months are March and April. It's not unusual for it to snow well into May. On Mother's Day a few years ago, we got eight inches of snow, and it's not unheard of to get snow close to Memorial Day.

I like to tell people that winter is from September through May, and summer is from March through November.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 1, 2008 at 3:13 PM  

I don't care; I still miss MN and those psycho-crazy almost-spring days that made me vow, every year, that I was "outta there". Now that I've been gone nearly 8 years, I still miss it - but your story and knowing what the next picture would inevitably show just made me laugh harder and harder!

- JeniMull

By Blogger Williams Family, at April 1, 2008 at 3:22 PM  

@Katie - Oh, it's still out like a lamb...you know, white and fluffy.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 2, 2008 at 6:11 AM  

Wow, and I thought it was cold out here when the daytime high was 67

By Blogger Creative-Type Dad, at April 3, 2008 at 9:40 PM  

It's not Minnesota's fault! It got confused by the leap day. Nature doesn't have leap days. As far as that snow is concerned, you'll take its April Fool's gag and you'll like it!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 6, 2008 at 1:58 PM  

I was visiting the Twin Cities for a library conference and some quality time with my sister. The snow was a surprise -- and my shoes got all wet trying to walk around the U! Good times!

By Blogger Rebecca, at April 7, 2008 at 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives