M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Sunday, March 16, 2008  

Learn and Earn

M. Small earned a big reward this weekend, but when Trash and I were at Target and I was with him in the toy section, all he wanted was a three-dollar set of plastic sand shovels.

"Seriously?" I said. "That's all?"

"Yeah. And that," he added, pointing out another, similarly priced item. "This is for that, and this is for getting potty trained," he bargained, as though he was really pushing the envelope. He was already getting a reward for potty training later that day, but I didn't feel the need to press the point.

Later, when he and Trash made a pass through the section again (because damn, how cheap did I look?), this Little Einsteins "Rocket" toy caught his eye, and nothing else would do. Forty bucks was a little more than we wanted to spend, especially for something that we didn't think he'd play with beyond this afternoon.

"How about the smaller one? You can take it in the bath."

"The big one."

"If we get this, then no other toys today."

"Okay."

"You can't take it in the bath."

"Okay."

"Or outside."

"Okay."

"Or out of your playroom."

"Okay."

"Or out of its box in months with an R."

"Okay."

Finally we realized we weren't going to find a deal-breaker, and it ended up coming home with us. Fortunately it was secretly on sale for $27, or else I would have been kind of grumpy when I found that Amazon link.

Anyway, he was totally enraptured with it, until it was time for he and I to go for his other reward.

We had taken him to the indoor water park last summer, and had promised him that we'd bring him back after he was fully potty-trained. Fortunately we didn't say as soon as he was potty-trained, because that happened months ago and between one thing and another we didn't actually make it to the water park until today.

He didn't resent the delay, though. He had too great a time there, running around and splashing and floating and pointing hoses all over. Since Trash had other plans, it was just the two of us, and we ended up staying for almost five hours, which is longer than he ever does anything besides sleep (and sometimes not even that).

Finally, as dinner time approached, I could see that he'd had about enough. Not that I expected him to admit that. But when I asked him if he was ready to go home, he surprised me.

"Yeah," he said sadly. "I miss Rocket."

Later I told Trash about that to make her feel better about buying it. It didn't work as well as I thought it would.

posted by M. Giant 7:35 PM 8 comments

8 Comments:

My hubby stopped at Target back in Feb to pick up "something small" for our kiddo as a Valentine's present. I thought by "something small" he meant chocolates in a heart-shaped box, but he came home with that LE Rocket (which had been on sale - whew), thereby permanently earning Favorite Parent Ever status in our daughter's eyes. I'm forever encouraging her to have Rocket fly as low to the ground as possible, just to keep the "diminuendo" setting in full effect... It is a pretty cool toy, though, especially for a child who is as Little Einsteins-obsessed as ours!

Just wait 'til M. Small tries to give other, non-LE toys a ride in Rocket, then you too will know the joy of trying to pry the hatch open to un-jam the cockpit. Good times!

By Blogger Heather, at March 17, 2008 at 4:39 AM  

Dang, I was going to suggest it this Friday when I'm there, but maybe I'll just ask him about it instead. We had a good time when we went last year... sigh...

Does this super cool rocket launch by punching something, like the last set that we played with? Ahhhhh, good times....

By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 17, 2008 at 10:03 AM  

My son got that Rocket toy from his grandparents for Christmas, despite the fact that we'd been planning to get it for him as a reward for -- you guessed it -- potty-training. (Welcome to Excessive Prepositional Phrases, population: that sentence.) I have no idea what we're going to use as motivation now, because it seems that Rocket has fulfilled all of the kid's fantasies for the forseeable future. (And there's some alliteration for you.) There are days when I'm convinced that Einsteins are taking over the world, and I can-NOT be-LIEVE it!

(I fail comments. Sorry.)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 17, 2008 at 1:12 PM  

Sooooo, are you quitting TWOP, too? I mean, Sars, Glark, Tara, now Miss Alli? Keckler isn't covering Top Chef... Please tell me that my favorite recapper isn't leaving 24. I hate change.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 17, 2008 at 4:13 PM  

Don't say that, Michelle. I'm already in mourning about the gutting of TWoP, I don't need to know any more.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 17, 2008 at 9:39 PM  

I'm a little worried by M. Giant's lack of response. So many people are leaving! Keckler, Miss Alli, the big three. Please say you are staying, M. Giant.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 19, 2008 at 10:37 AM  

Not to be all Jennifer Hudson here, but I don't have any plans to leave TWoP.

By Blogger M. Giant, at March 19, 2008 at 10:56 AM  

So, you're telling us that you're not going? We're gonna LOVE YOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU....

- JeniMull

By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 19, 2008 at 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives