M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, February 27, 2008  

Fortune's Fool

While looking for a snack in the pantry today, I spotted a couple of fortune cookies that came with the Vietnamese takeout Trash and I had a couple of weeks ago. I snagged them both and headed back to the computer. But while trying to open the first one, I lost control of the wrapper and the fortune cookie flew straight out in front of me, shattering on the study floor.

This seemed a bit like bad juju. I was almost afraid to retrieve the little slip of paper from the wreckage, as though it might now say "Everyone knows you're a fraud" or "You're going to die." What it actually said wasn't a great deal better:

Be content with your lot.
One cannot be first in everything.

I had just decided to tape this inspirational little koan to my computer monitor to keep me humble when I decided to open the other, non-crushed fortune cookie instead (take your own advice, first fortune). That fortune cookie actually survived the trip from the wrapper to my mouth intact, and it rewarded my care with it accordingly. Here's what this one said:

Rarely do great beauty and great
virtue dwell together as they do in you.

Too late, fortune cookies! You can't suck up to me now. The damage is done.

Oh, who am I kidding? That was just what I needed right then. I sat back happily in my office chair, ignoring the sound of fortune shrapnel crunching under the wheels.

So what I've decided to do is glue both little strips together back to back and carry them around with me in my pocket. For moments when I need a spiritual lift or a reminder to keep it real but don't know which one, I can just pull it out and read whichever side faces me.

First, though, I'm going to sweep up the fortune cookie crumbs. It's only right to clean up the mess I made. And of course I'm going to do it naked, because I'm dead sexy.

But not the sexiest. And I'm okay with that.

P.S. In bed.

posted by M. Giant 4:31 PM 2 comments

2 Comments:

Wow, funny and wise, a great blog combination. But I suppose in the spirit of things I should point out that it's not the funniest or wisest of all...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 29, 2008 at 10:14 AM  

Ahem, you better not be first in bed. I don't care how pretty you are.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 4, 2008 at 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives