M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Monday, January 21, 2008  

Work From Home!

Today started out like a normal Monday. Trash left to drop M. Small off at day care and then go to hero job, and I was leaving the house just a couple of minutes behind her. But I was barely clear of the driveway when my cell phone rang. "Where are you?" she asked in a surprisingly urgent tone of voice. This is what happens when Mom and Dad both work for companies that are open on MLK day, but forgot that Child goes to a day care that isn't.

Normally Trash is the one who gets stuck being at home in these unexpected situations. She's done this any number of times-- working at home while also watching the child -- but this was my first time. I learned a lot, including the origin of the rule stating that the spouse who was gone at work all day isn't allowed to come home to the spouse who has been both providing child care and doing their day job at the same time, and criticize the condition of the house. That rule makes a lot of sense.

One nice thing about the job that I changed to last summer is that now I can work from home when I need to. I e-mailed my boss to let him know that I was going to be at home instead of the office today, and he was fine with it. He's in Boston, anyway, so it's not like he would have noticed my empty desk.

So how does it work having a boss who's in a different time zone? Well, part of the deal is that every Monday morning, I have to e-mail him a list of all the stuff I'm working on that week and that day. This morning, the top item on the list was, of course, "Keep the house from getting torn apart."

So I spent some time on that. I also pulled the bad-dad move of parking him in front of a cartoon to distract him while I got some work done. Don't worry, I didn't leave him there all day. I made him lunch at one point, too.

No, I'm kidding. It wasn't that bad. Bless him, he gets bored with TV after a while. I knew this would happen, so I got as much work done as possible while it still held his interest. That way, when the inevitable time came that he stomped into the study, tool me by the hand, and started towing me out of the room on my wheeled chair saying. "Don't work, Daddy!" I'd be ready.

So I'm glad to say that in addition to the stuff I got done for my job today, I also made lunch, built a fort and pitched a tent in the living room, read several stories, assembled a racetrack, imposed some discipline, and wondered how Trash does it. I'm still debating whether to include those items on my next status memo.

I've always laughed at those "work from home" spam e-mails I'm always getting. But now I'll laugh even harder.

posted by M. Giant 4:09 PM 2 comments

2 Comments:

I love the Freudian typo: "hero job." Hee!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM  

Put those things on your resume too ;-)

Heidi

By Blogger Teslagrl, at January 22, 2008 at 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives