M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Tuesday, January 08, 2008  

Happy Birthday To Me

Okay, so I've decided what I want for my birthday. From all of you.

Now, I know that it would seem like the WGA and the AMPTP have already gotten together to get me the best gift ever. My birthday is in the third week of January, which for the last three years is when the dreaded 24 fourcap gets dropped on top of me. Trash and I took trips on my birthday for several years in a row, until I had to start spending my birthdays with a remote in my hand. But not this year. Hence my mixed emotions about the writers strike.

But if you're not a striking writer or a moneygrubbing studio suit, there's something else you can get me. Or rather, do for me.

Pre-order my book. No, not yet!

My birthday is Friday, January 18th. On that day, let's say in the afternoon, I would love it if as many people as possible would go to Amazon and preorder my book, A TV Guide to Life. You may think this is a poorly veiled ploy to artificially inflate my Amazon ranking for a brief moment. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is in fact a bare-ass naked ploy. You want in?

I'm thinking 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Central Time will be the ideal window. I'd love to just say 3:00 p.m. straight up, but I don't know how many of you have Amazon blocked on your work computers. Plus I don't know at what time my Australian readers (I know you're out there, mates) get up in the morning, when the sun is still low in the west or whatever antipodean madness you guys have to deal with.

I'll remind you closer to the date, but go ahead set an Outlook reminder, or program a cell phone alarm, or just keep saying to yourself, Preorder in the afternoon, see Cloverfield in the evening. Or, if you hate the whole idea, feel free to skip Cloverfield.

As of this writing, the book is ranked #240,796. But if all of us can get together at about the same time, I'm optimistic that we can push it all the way up into the 240,600s. You've got to believe!

And also spend a bit of money. But the believing will make that easier. Don't think so? Pre-order a copy while not believing, and then pre-order another copy while suffused with faith, and see which one felt better. You might even like that second one enough to do it a few times. Don't let me stop you.

posted by M. Giant 7:25 PM 10 comments

10 Comments:

I'm in! And pre-Happy Birthday!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 8, 2008 at 9:31 PM  

I already pre-ordered it. Should I cancel and re-pre-order? I think that would mess up the numbers. What do I do? I don't have the book to know if I've learned this yet.

By Blogger Libragirl, at January 9, 2008 at 1:02 AM  

I'm in Australia, and 3pm-7pm central Friday is 8am - 12pm Saturday which is actually a pretty good time for me. In case you really wanted to accommodate your I'm sure legion Australian readers.

By Blogger k, at January 9, 2008 at 2:43 AM  

Plus, you don't actually have to pay for it until they ship it, so it's like a surprise when it shows up then a SECOND surprise when it shows up on your credit card. Hooray!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 9, 2008 at 8:01 AM  

Count me in too! If anyone wants to do a further good when preordering the sure become greatness that is "The Book" :-), you can link to Amazon through the Basset Hound Rescue of Georgia website bhrg(dot)org. That way you can help a brother AND some homeless Bassets out. It's a great organization and could really use the assistance. M.Giant, as a fellow animal (and rescue org) lover, I hope you don't mind me using your naked ploy post to make one of my own!
Happy Birthday to you, and all the best.

By Blogger Tami, at January 10, 2008 at 6:24 AM  

This will totally work. It doesn't take very many purchases at all to wildly inflate your rank. I can't wait to see how well we do, but I think the results will be impressive.

By Blogger Linda, at January 10, 2008 at 10:45 AM  

Outlook reminder set! Hoping you will be able to say "Best Selling Author" on the jacket of your next book.... :)

By Blogger Heather, at January 10, 2008 at 1:28 PM  

I'm glad K worked out the Australian time, because when I did it, I got it wrong.
Will have to set the reminder on my phone, because wouldn't normally be on the PC at that time. Very cool plan.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 10, 2008 at 6:07 PM  

De-lurking for a moment to say that I've set my Outlook reminder. Happy birthday from a fellow Capricorn!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 11, 2008 at 3:02 PM  

Outstanding! I'm moving to Alaska and my PC will be boxed up by then, but I can order it from work right at 3pm before my exit interview. :) Whoo! Can't wait to see how high we get it!

By Blogger Auburn Tiger, at January 14, 2008 at 7:02 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives