M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Thursday, January 17, 2008  

Friday Pre-Order

By the time you read this, it's probably already Friday, my birthday. So I'm reminding you that if you're in on my nefarious plan to grossly inflate my book's Amazon ranking for one brief shining moment, today's the day. Doors open at 3:00 Central. Knock yourselves out!

If not for me, how about for this little guy? Kitten Chow and hairball medicine ain't free, you know.

hi im XKV8R plz sleap so i can eet yr fase?

And thank you.

Update as of 9:50 CST: Current ranking is 209,208. Check back for more updates later!

10:50 CST: Current ranking is 215,427. It may look like shrinking, but I prefer to look at it as a tiger preparing to pounce! Okay, a small house cat.

1:00 CST: Just got back from lunch to see that we've shot up to 67,828. Five figures!

2:15 CST: 22,763! If my math is correct, that means we've passed over 186,000 books. Of course there's no way of knowing how many of those were written by Rachael Ray.

2:25 CST: Better still, in the sub-sub-subcategory "Books > Entertainment > Pop Culture > Popular Culture," we're at number 80. 80! That's above Chuck Klosterman, and two slots ahead of a book by the guy who voiced the Sheriff in Cars. M. Small will be so proud.

4:15: Apparently it's still lunchtime at Amazon HQ in Seattle, because it's been over an hour since the last ranking update showed us at #13,842 overall and #54 in the sub-sub-subcategory. Either that or they're onto me and I'm about to get Super Saver Shipped to Gitmo for cyberterrorism. Don't worry, I'll leave you all out of it.

4:22: Yeah, I thought that last update might shake it loose. I'm touched and proud to report that we've broken the four-figure mark, and are currently ranked at #9,089 overall, and #35 in the sub-sub-subcategory. Why, yes I am currently outselling The Urban Dictionary, thanks for asking.

6:26 Holy God! We're at #966 overall and #49 in "Books > Nonfiction > Social Sciences > Sociology" and #4 in "Books > Entertainment > Pop Culture > Popular Culture." I will always remember the birthday on which I outsold (however briefly) Hunter S. Thompson, Tom Wolfe, and Oprah.

9:29: #514! I'm pretty sure I have more books than that in my house.

10:08: #523. Looks like 514 was the peak, which is so much better than I ever wouldhave expected or hoped. Thanks to everyone who came through for me today; it's been an awesome birthday. And if you still haven't preordered but plan to at some point, don't feel like you missed out; it's never too late. Thanks to all of you!

posted by M. Giant 8:15 PM 19 comments

19 Comments:

He's ADORABLE!!

Do Canadian sales count?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 18, 2008 at 4:22 AM  

Excavator (have you shortened that to anything yet? Ex? Vator?) is incredibly cute!

4:00 eastern time - got it.

By Blogger Bunny, at January 18, 2008 at 6:42 AM  

echaos: Absolutely! And yes, they do.

bunny: We're leaning toward Exie, but so far he just gets called "Come Back" and "Stop That" a lot.

By Blogger M. Giant, at January 18, 2008 at 7:22 AM  

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's adorable. What does Phantom think of him?

Heidi

By Blogger Teslagrl, at January 18, 2008 at 12:28 PM  

Happy Birthday! The cost of the book is a small price to pay for all of the entertainment you give me on a weekly basis. Plus, I get the book.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 18, 2008 at 1:05 PM  

At 3:06 Central, you're #54 in Pop Culture, just in front of "Prude: How the Sex-Obsessed Culture Damages Girls (and America, Too!)". Chew on that, prudes!

Happy birthday!

-Laurabelle

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 18, 2008 at 1:08 PM  

Happy Birthday! I've now pre-ordered your book and also the books of several other bloggers that have been sitting patiently in my Wish List.

By Blogger Average Jane, at January 18, 2008 at 1:08 PM  

get your publisher to get the cover photo on the amazon page, its too cute of a cover not to share with the world.

By Blogger KellynGal, at January 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM  

Pre-ordered. :)

Happy Birthday! :)

By Blogger Kelly, at January 18, 2008 at 1:58 PM  

Plugged your book again and pre-ordered it. In the words of Principal Skinner, "Done and done!"

Happy birthday. I can't believe I need to wait six months to read it.

Ordering it gave me the excuse to order the potato masher I've been wanting for a long time in order to get the super saver shipping. So thank you for giving me a rationalization for shopping, even for a bizarre item.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 18, 2008 at 2:04 PM  

Ordered and used as excuse to finally get Veronica Mars s3 even though that on its own would have qualified for free shipping. I bargain with myself quite nicely. Happy birthday!

By Blogger Emily, at January 18, 2008 at 2:26 PM  

ordered - Happy Birthday!

- JeniMull

By Blogger Williams Family, at January 18, 2008 at 2:37 PM  

Dang. I wish we'd all thought of that: buy some weird item together with the preorder of the book.

Happy Birthday! Ours is ordered, of course. And I'm sorry I haven't had time to look at that, um, book you gave me when we were in town. I am confident it is AWESOME.

By Blogger Febrifuge, at January 18, 2008 at 2:40 PM  

5,655 at 6:22 EST. That's great! Congratulations!

By Blogger Anonymous Me, at January 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM  

Preordered, with pleasure. Happy Birthday!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 18, 2008 at 3:32 PM  

I bought three. One for me, two for gifts.

By Blogger Linda, at January 18, 2008 at 3:58 PM  

De-lurking briefly. I was going to buy the book anyway, so why not do it like this. Happy birthday, and thank you for the blog and your other online work (you watch "Celebrity Apprentice, so I don't have to!)

Re-lurking now.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 18, 2008 at 4:39 PM  

Congrats! What a fun birthday. Also - I forgot to mention earlier that your tag for the photo is hysterical. That is all.

- JeniMull

By Blogger Williams Family, at January 18, 2008 at 6:47 PM  

You are up to #514 as of 10:30 Eastern. Congrats!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 18, 2008 at 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives