M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Sunday, November 04, 2007  

Random Crap

Marvin still needs adopting! E-mail me and tell me how much you want him. You know you do.

* * *

It is a truth universally acknowledged among John Cusack fans that the movies he's in within his sister Joan are generally good. Say Anything, Grosse Pointe Blank, Sixteen Candles, Broadcast News (yes, seriously, he's in it for literally two seconds), and High Fidelity are all varying degrees of good to great.

Whereas his Joan-free outings tend to be a bit more…disastrous. Must Love Dogs, Identity, Con Air, pretty much anything with Billy Bob Thornton (although I didn't hate Pushing Tin as much as most people, I will defer to the conventional wisdom in support of my point). Ultimately, I think it was the one-two suck of Serendipity and America's Sweethearts that prompted us to leap off of any Cusack love train that didn't have Joan as one of the co-conductors.

So now the Cusacks have this new movie out called Martian Child, and not only is Joan also in it? She's getting pre-title billing in the TV commercials, including the little 30-second spots. I can't decide if that's a good sign for the quality of the movie, or a bad sign that the studios have just figured out how to cynically market a movie to us ex-Cusack fans. In either case, I'm pretty sure Joan Cusack wouldn't be getting pre-title billing if her costar were Brad Pitt. Or even Jack Black.

Doesn't really matter to me, since I see about four movies a year in the theater and I've already seen three and a half so far in 2007. Someone get back to me after seeing this one, and tell me which half to skip.

* * *

M. Small isn't that great at putting together an outfit; typically, he just wants to keep wearing whatever he has on until he spills something on it, and getting him dressed for daycare/into a coat for outside/undressed for bath/into pajamas for bed is usually something of a struggle.

I wonder if that might not be because he's having a little trouble with the terminology. Too many garment-related words make no sense to him. Or, if you think about it, to anyone else.

To Trash, while running down the hall in only a shirt: "I'm shirting! I'm shirting!" Since he pronounces his R's like a three-year-old (which is to say almost not at all), Trash found this quite alarming until she realized what he was saying.

To me, while I was putting his pants on: "Are these trousers? Do they trouse?" Every parent dreads the question they don't know how to answer.

To me on a different occasion, as I was changing him and most of his clothes were off: "I'm only wearing one clo." Well, nobody ever told him that "clo" isn't the singular form of "clothes," and if they did, why should he believe them?

* * *

I think my blog is broken.

It's acting weird for me whenever I load it without including "www" in the address. I'm trying to remember to include that in the links from the DHAK page and my notify list e-mails, but that doesn't help the people (okay, person) who have it in their favorites menu (specifically, Trash).

Plus there's that weird, sawed-off text right below the title bar that's been bugging me for months and I don't know how to get rid of,, and the fact that "smart" quotes come out looking really dumb half the time.

I'm considering just switching to a new template. But I'm still irrationally attached to the current one. How many people go five and a half years without a redesign, after all? It kind of makes me stand out. Plus my current template isn't even available for new blogs any more, which makes it like of a collectors' item. You see this look and you think, "Wow, this guy's been here for a while." Just like you would if you walked into someone's house and their kitchen counters were covered with avocado Formica.

I'm sure I'm thinking about this all wrong. I do with most things, after all.

posted by M. Giant 9:03 PM 7 comments

7 Comments:

"Currency", from back in the day when blog*spot blogs had only a few templates. The look was the same whereever you surfed but the content was different - sort of like that Twilight Zone episode where coming of age meant being transformed into a model-perfect body, only with your own name stitched across the shirt. Don't change it.

By Blogger Suzette, at November 5, 2007 at 5:10 AM  

I love the anecdotes of M. Small's language development. "Do they trouse?" is the question that will haunt me today.

I never change my template either. I've never had any trouble loading yours without the www.

By Blogger Anonymous Me, at November 5, 2007 at 5:26 AM  

I went to see Martian Child on Friday and it definitely hit the John/Joan movies are awesome mark. Very cute, I cried once and nearly did twice (I never cry at movies), but it's not like it's a barn burner or anything. Very much just a screw-up guy trying to raise and help a screwed up (but cute and not a bad actor) kid.

My movie going frequency is exactly the same as yours, but I made a point of making this one of my 2007 movies. Also, August Rush will be my number 4 movie of 2007. Maybe you should just wait for it to come out on dvd in 2008 and then watch the whole thing. :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 5, 2007 at 9:03 AM  

1408 was also excellent, and I HATE horror movies, psychological thrillers, what have you. I went only because I just saw G.P.B.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 5, 2007 at 9:31 AM  

1) True, "1408" was decent, and that's coming from someone who's lukewarm on horror movies in general.

2) I think I'm going to adopt "trouse" as a verb, specific to pants, meaning "look good." As in, "on most people, carpenter jeans simply don't trouse; you should go with the chinos."

3) I'm using Firefox, and you've been in the Favorites folder since forEVER. I have no "www" in the saved address, and don't know what you're talking about with the bits of format-problem text.

By Blogger Febrifuge, at November 6, 2007 at 8:23 PM  

Trause! So cute!
Reminds me of my 3-year-old who when I tell her to "behave" shouts "I'm being have!"

By Blogger Katie, at November 9, 2007 at 8:46 AM  

Yours is the only blog address I always have to type, instead of IE recognizing it from the first or second letter.

Yes, I *could* bookmark it. Why do you ask?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 10, 2007 at 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives