M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Friday, November 30, 2007  

MGiTWRecWriMo

Every November, I suffer a brief twinge of regret that I never get to do NaNoWriMo or NaBloPoMo because I'm too busy with the writing I do professionally. Which, upon a microsecond's reflection, is not unlike suffering a twinge of regret at being healthy, or feeling sorry for myself at being financially solvent, or going all "woe is me" over having an awesome family. Especially now. Just smack me.

But even if I can't write a 50,000-word novel in a month (as required for NaNoWriMo) or post something on my blog for each of thirty days (as required by NaBloPoMo), there is something else I can do, and indeed have been doing. I call it MGiTWRecWriMo.

Let me break that down for you, working our way in from the ends. The "WriMo," just as in "NaNoWriMo," stands for "Writing Month." The "MGi"? You're soaking in it, since my challenge by its very nature was more M. Giant-specific than national. "TW" stands for my part-time gig, "TWoP," or Television Without Pity as you well know. And the "Rec" stands for "Recap." Thus, M. Giant Television Without Pity Recap Writing Month, or the much catchier abbreviation, MGiTWRecWriMo.

The other thing that MGiTWRecWriMo has in common with NaNoWriMo is that I had to write a total of 50,000 words. Not a single 50,000-word novel, but 50,000 words of recaps, weecaps, and recaplets. This didn't actually occur to me until late in the month, but a couple of days ago, I added up all the TWoP pieces I'd submitted between November 1 and the present. Not counting headers and other template-type stuff, I was under 42,000 words for the month.

What kind of loser sets a completely imaginary, arbitrary goal like that which no one else even cares about and then can't make it? Especially when he doesn't even think about doing it until the last week of the month, after volunteering to sub in on an episode of Law & Order: Sex Police?

I knew the last Kid Nation recap of the month wasn't going to come in at over 8,000 words. I don't know what my average word count is, but the last time I checked the number of words in a recap it had 7,500, and that was for Studio 60. No way was Kid Nation going to top that, unless I really started picking on those children in a whole lot more detail.

What to do? Count the headers? Inflate the Kid Nation word count despite everything? And then I hit on the idea of weecapping an old The Office episode last night. So I cued up one of my tapes from Season Three and got to it. By the time you read this, I will have submitted that weecap and this week's full Kid Nation recap, bringing my total TWoP-published word count for the month to…

51,486.

By the way, the count with all the extra template/header stuff was 51,070, so counting them before wouldn't have made a difference.

Now, I'm sure plenty of other recappers have blown past that number within a month in the past, but I’m also pretty sure it was a first for me. Okay, maybe I've managed it during a 24 fourcap month, but those are always in January so it doesn't count. November is when this stuff counts.

Obviously, I'd like to thank the editorial staff at TWoP (Wing, Sars, Miss Alli, and Joe R.) for giving me the gig and these assignments, without whom this would not have been possible. And also Trash, for not shooting me in the head while I did all this damn work.

And now on to December, and a second round of edits for the book. I don't think I'm going to count those words.

posted by M. Giant 6:48 PM 2 comments

2 Comments:

Wait, what? The count with the headers and whatnot is lower than without them? There's some freaky 12-dimensional space math going on there.

Congrats in any case. Quite the accomplishment.

Were any of those words "quiescent," "papaya," or "lanthanide?" Just curious, really.

I am still stuck in the middle of FebPharTeStuMo, which is nowhere near as much fun as your month sounds. However, when we're home for Xmas I'll teach the boy how to look up people's noses the professional way.

By Blogger Febrifuge, at November 30, 2007 at 9:22 PM  

I hope you continue to weecap The Office, even if you're not trying to reach an arbitrary goal! I really liked E-mail Surveillence, and I love reading the classic episodes.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 1, 2007 at 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives