M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Friday, October 12, 2007  

Birthday the Third

When my alarm clock went off at three o'clock this morning, Trash had a rather urgent question for me:

"What the hell?"

"It's M. Small's birthday!" I reminded her after blowing my nose and rubbing my gooey front teeth with my finger. "Three years ago, at this very time, we got the call that he'd been born!"

Trash didn't seem caught up in the moment for some reason.

"First of all, that happened ten minutes from now," she said.

"Oh, okay. I'll hit the snooze button."

"Don't you dare!"

"You're right. I'll go wake him up right now."

"I will kill you dead if you do."

"Don't you care about your son's birthday?"

"Yes, and I don't want the rest of his birthdays to also be the anniversary of when I killed you."

Okay, none of that actually happened. We didn't actually wake up until around 4:30, which was when M. Small, totally unaware that it was now technically his birthday, came toddling down the hall carrying his new lovey: a Halloween decoration in the form of a plastic skull that lights up. He crawled into bed, snuggled for a minute, and then hitched a ride with me back to his own bed.

"Don't forget his…skull?" Trash reminded me as the two of us were leaving. I'd been the one to put him to bed that night, so she hadn't previously been aware of his macabre new cuddle toy.

And then my alarm didn't go off until 7:15. M. Small didn't seem to want his special day to start yet, for some reason. "Cover me up!" he wailed, breaking into actual tears when we not only didn't do so, but changed his diaper as well. I left Trash to deal with the fallout while I went downstairs to get ready.

Two minutes later, he was bounding happily down the stairs. Apparently he had received word of the donuts and presents that were waiting for him in the kitchen, and this news had improved his mood considerably. As it would anyone's.

I hung out while he opened his presents and ate his breakfast and then I went to work feeling like a chump, a bit envious of Trash for getting to spend the whloe day with him, looking forward to coming home a little early, and really glad that next year his birthday falls on a Sunday. His birthday weekend continues tomorrow, and I think we're looking forward to it more than he is.

Happy birthday, little dude. It was happy for your mom and me, too.

posted by M. Giant 7:57 PM 5 comments

5 Comments:

Shoot, this is belated already, but since it is still his birthday weekend -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY M. Not-Quite-So-Small!!!

(Also, our kiddo's current favorite lovey is an eyeball ball that flashes blue and red in a rather seizure-inducing way when thrown or banged against something hard enough. It was a Halloween present from her godmother and she sleeps with it pressed against her cheek, occasionally lighting up the room during the night when she rolls over on it and thereby scaring the heck out of her goldfish and the cat. Kids!)

By Blogger Heather, at October 13, 2007 at 5:20 AM  

I've been a reader for a couple of years now with no comments, so I think it's about time that I wish your little guy a great birthday week. And many more years of learning and laughter and loveys.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 14, 2007 at 10:09 PM  

I remember crying tears of joy about MTiny's addition to your life a couple of years back. And I don't even know you (or like kids all that much)!

Being an adoption kid, I know how important these celebrations are. Happy Birthday to the whole family!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 15, 2007 at 12:54 AM  

Happy birthday, little one. I remember it well.

M. Giant: "So...he was born! The baby was born."

Linda's brain, remembering that the baby isn't due for seven weeks and that Trash just showed her...the one pair of baby socks they own so far: Oh my God, they got a different baby! I wonder what happened with the other baby!

[beat]

Linda: "OH! Oh, I get it. Wow!"

By Blogger Linda, at October 15, 2007 at 6:07 PM  

Happy Birthday M-Small!

I'm very excited to learn that he is part of the Super-Deluxe October 12 birthday club with me, Kirk Cameron, Hugh Jackman and the now disgraced Marion Jones!

I am also jealous that he got donuts and presents for breakfast on his birthday. Warn him that birthday #3 gets a lot more attention than birthday #37.

By Blogger Helen, at October 16, 2007 at 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives