M. Giant's
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks

Monday, June 04, 2007  

Welcome Home

I think this is the longest I've been away from M. Small in two years. That time, he was not quite eight years old and thus probably didn't understand what was going on. But when I got home, he was standing in the living room, holding himself up by leaning on the sofa, and his knees started bopping up and down in a fair approximation of jumping with excitement. His expression was difficult to read around his pacifier, but it was pretty clear that he was glad to see me.

Last Friday, when Trash and I left in the evening, we were glad he was awake to see us go. No matter how many times we had explained to him in words that we were going to be gone for a couple of days and that his grandma would be staying with him, we didn't want him waking up and finding us gone.

So when our minivan from Airport Taxi arrived, we made sure he was watching out the front window as we went outside, dumped our luggage in the back, climbed in, and rode off. Of course, we were careful not to go to pieces ourselves until we were well out of sight, and when Trash called on our cell phone about ninety seconds later, her mom assured us that M. Small was doing just fine.

Naturally, we called him several times a day from Denver. Each. He would always talk to us, saying he missed us and loved us and look at his shirt (holding the phone up to it in the latter case), but I still don't think he quite understood. Yesterday he asked his mom over the phone, "Are you still in a taxi?"

Trash tried to explain that no, we'd just ridden the taxi to the airport, where an airplane had taken us to another city, just like it had with him to Albuquerque last year.

"I can't go in a taxi," he said.

I hope he realizes that when we leave him for the better part of three days, it's for something a lot more interesting than an extended taxi ride, especially one that would have cost more than it will to send him to college.

I was glad that the taxi I took home from the airport wasn't the same maroon minivan we'd left in, but I needn't have worried. He was in the middle of his afternoon nap when I got home, and so didn't witness my arrival.

But excuse me for now. I think I hear him moving down the hall now, and I want to see what kind of reaction I get this time.

posted by M. Giant 2:05 PM 1 comments


Denver? How come? See, now I don't know anything that's going on.

Oh, and in your first pgh, I think you mean eight months, yo.

So, um, welcome back!

By Blogger Febrifuge, at June 4, 2007 at 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
other stuff i