M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Friday, June 08, 2007  

Pottery

Almost four years ago to the week, I wrote about why I wasn't reading any more Harry Potter books. That entry is here.

A lot has happened since then. Two more Harry Potter books have been published, with the seventh one due next month. Two more Harry Potter movies came out, and I paid to see both of them in the theater. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events books came to a conclusion that turned out to be one of the biggest letdowns of my life (far behind The Phantom Menace, but still quite a disappointment). And I think I picked up this kid at some point as well. But until very recently, I had still only read the first two books in the Harry Potter series and seen the first four films.

My reading schedule isn't what it used to be. Between my day job, and recapping, working on writing a book of my own, blogging, and the aforementioned kid, I don't have as much time to read as I once did. I'll maybe get about ten pages under my belt before turning off the bedside lamp, which makes for about a book a month. I am becoming an illiterate peasant.

So a few weeks ago, I suddenly realized that if I plan to get the first six Potter books read by the time Harry Potter and the Lengthy Hallows hits our front doorstep (and cracks it right down to the foundation), I'd better get a move-on.

The first two books were a pretty quick read, kind of a refresher since I've already read them both and seen both films (the first one twice, for reasons that are now completely mysterious to me). Book three was more of a novelty; although I had seen the movie version of Prisoner of Azkaban, I wasn't previously aware of how many liberties Alfonso Cuaron took with the story (and I just realized that I've seen every film Cuaron has made this decade. The only other director I can say that about is Joss Whedon). I read most of Azkaban in Denver and on the plane back, because while Trash and I had brought a laptop for me to write on, she was there attending a conference and I was there slacking so she won (note to self: bring two laptops next time I tag along for a librarian conference).

So this week I started Goblet of Fire, although I'm not even at the point in the book where the movie begins. I'm already wondering if J.K. Rowling was getting paid by the word for this one, and I'm aware I'm not the first to think that. Everyone said the house-elf subplot could have been excised from the book entirely, and I certainly don't remember missing it in the film. I might skip those parts of the book. I haven't decided yet. It might depend on how long it takes me to write a Big Love recap each week (yes, now it can be told).

It's not just a race to get the six books read before the seventh comes out, but to read The Order of the Phoenix before Trash takes me to see it. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm okay with either the film or the book winning. I read two of the books first and saw two of the films first, and it was cool both ways. Although I remember sitting in the theater at the end of Chamber of Secrets and thinking, "Wait, is that it? Doesn't something else happen?" Referring back to the book, I'd have to say, not so much.

Trash has been teasing me with made-up spoilers from later in the series ever since I started reading the books again. Stuff like about how Crabbe and Goyle end up saving the world and how Sirius doesn't die. Things like that, and always with a straight face.

I'm planning my revenge, however. That third weekend in July, I'll be all caught up, with the events of the six previous book fresh in my mind, having just read most of them for the first time in my life (don't tell me that some of you don't kind of envy that). I'll spend Saturday morning in the front yard, diligently doing lawn work. And when the postman arrives with that giant white cardboard box, I'll intercept it, wheel it into the bathroom, lock myself in with it, and not come out until I have some good fake spoilers of my own. Wait till she hears that Ginny Weasley and Neville Longbottom are expelled from Hogwarts after being discovered in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom in the midst of a vigorous session of lapsnorkeling.

That is, if she doesn't kill me first.

posted by M. Giant 8:36 PM 4 comments

4 Comments:

Lapsnorkeling? Tee hee

By Blogger Melinda, The Bad Mommy, at June 9, 2007 at 6:51 AM  

I don't envy you for reading the books for the first time now. I love the fact that I read books 1-3 eight years ago, and have had eight years of delicious anticipation. Eight years of talking to friends, strangers, and the internet about what might happen next. I feel lucky to have been a part of the fandom for so long.

Happy reading! 41 days left!

By Blogger donajo, at June 9, 2007 at 7:34 AM  

No way, M. Giant... Neville and Professor McGonagall hook up in what looks to be the biggest scandal in Hogwards history!!!

But seriously, I read the first three books a few years ago, to my daughters, and enjoyed them. But when Goblet of Fire came out, I was totally hooked, not only because it was more of an adult book, but the twisting plot, storyline, and characters were mesmerizing! And the series is just so funny! Order of the Phoenix has been my favorite so far. I look forward to reading the entire series again to my son Lucas in a few years.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 11, 2007 at 11:22 AM  

Those aren't fake spoilers! It was about time Crabbe and Goyle got some character development. And it added some nice twists to the "is Snape REALLY evil" debate!

Man, you should probably stop sharing your wife's spoilers before you accidentally let the cat out of the bag... or should I say the big shape-shifting dog....

By Blogger oakling, at June 13, 2007 at 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives