M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, March 28, 2007  

English Lessons, Part II

Thanks to everyone who's commented and e-mailed with supportive thoughts for Turtle. I recite them to her during each of the three times a day I poke a steroid down her throat, and she seems to really appreciate it, too. The vet said she's doing well enough that she can wait until Friday to come back. I'll let you know what we find out then.

* * *

We've been trying to cut way down on the Kipper at home, but I think the kids are still getting to see it at day care, because M. Small is only getting more and more British.

He pronounced "Arnold" as "Ah-nouwd." Half of the time, a flashlight is a "tow-ch." He tells us it's our turn to do something by asking us, "You want to have a go?" He's ending random sentences with "then," like it's a period or something. Worst of all, last week he saw a miniature soccer ball and called it a football.

I wouldn't mind so much if it were just him, but it's not. Last week we received a Kipper book that Trash had ordered, which is Kipper's original medium. M. Small loves the book, and it's one of the few he'll want to have read to him over and over in the same sitting. The only problem is that I have to do Kipper's voice as close to the falsetto British accent from the cartoon as I can. If I don't, M. Small slaps me with a white kid glove.

I have no idea where he got a white kid glove.

posted by M. Giant 7:21 PM 7 comments

7 Comments:

I am longing for an audio file! Charlie and Lola have just not been sufficient exposure to turn my toddler British.

By Blogger Anonymous Me, at March 28, 2007 at 8:10 PM  

You're having a laugh, aren't you? Taking the mickey out of us?

By Blogger donajo, at March 28, 2007 at 9:42 PM  

Kipper was the gateway drug for our little guy, but Charlie and Lola are hardcore. He's gone from talking to himself in a British accent, to using it on his grandparents, and now perfect strangers get the "rawthah" treatment. It didn't help that we lived in England for 6 months when he was three (which is where he first saw Kipper). I'm expecting him to get ragged on so bad by all his rural Midwestern peers when he starts kindergarten this fall.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 28, 2007 at 9:57 PM  

AUDIO FILE! AUDIO FILE! AUDIO FILE!

AW come on. We could all use a giggle right now, then couldn't we?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 28, 2007 at 10:35 PM  

Screw audio - I want an audio and a video tape. I think it's the least you could do...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 29, 2007 at 11:05 AM  

That's hilarious, because I live in London and my little boy (2 1/2) talks like an American (although he knows the British and American words for most things). Of course, his favorite shows on TV are the Sesame Street things I import from the U.S.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 29, 2007 at 2:01 PM  

I too have a little Brit at home - she loves the Charlie and Lola, and I have to read all the associated books in my best Brittish voice. Add to this that my husband sucks at accents, so whenever he reads the books, she is constantly correcting his pronunciation.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 30, 2007 at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives