M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Monday, January 01, 2007  

Moving Back Up

A couple of weeks ago, I lamented that Trash and I probably wouldn't get to sleep above ground again in 2006. That turned out to not actually be true, because we went down to Iowa this weekend for Christmas at her mom's house, and we slept in an upstairs bedroom. We'd totally forgotten how warm those things get. I don't think we even used all of our blankets the whole time.

Oh, and then last night, New Year's Eve, we slept upstairs in our new bedroom for the first time. Except we didn't get to bed until after 2:00 a.m., so that doesn't technically count as 2006, I suppose.

Yes, aside from a few minor touches and the bathroom plumbing, the upstairs addition is finally finished. We got home from Iowa yesterday afternoon, and before we even unpacked the car we started hauling stuff upstairs. Things got off to a slow start when we discovered that the A-shaped bookcase we'd planned to put in his new bedroom was too tall to fit up the stairs, but that obstacle was overcome when I took a hammer to the top shelf and shortened the legs with my circular saw. We really weren't in the mood to wait any longer.

M. Small adjusted quite well to the change; he even "helped" me reassemble his crib in his new room, so there weren't really any surprises for him at bedtime. His main concern seemed to be "my changing table," but that might also be because we'd been changing his diaper on his Grandma's guest bed for the past two days. Maybe he just missed it.

Our own room was appointed with the bare minimum for the first night: our bed (the box spring of which was even more reluctant to come back up the stairs than it was to go down), our two night tables, a bedside lamp, an alarm clock, a baby monitor, and a sheet hung over our giant rear window. You'd think that with all the time this has taken, we'd be a little more on top of the window-treatment aspect of moving in.

We made more progress on moving in today. M. Small's bedroom is almost completely finished, except for whatever wall art goes up there. Our room now also contains our bedroom rug, Trash's computer desk, a cedar chest/window seat, and most of Trash's hanger clothes (my closet doesn't yet have a bar installed, but our built-in drawers are stocked with items for both of us). I even brought up a small bookcase, enough to hold roughly 0.3% of the books we have in boxes all over the property.

The really amazing thing is that in the course of putting stuff where it belongs, I'm seeing areas of our garage and basement floors that I haven't seen in months. I forgot they were there. I was so used to these spaces being a maze of building supplies waiting to be used and storage bins full of stuff waiting to be unpacked. And don't get me started on the suitcases. We have so much stuff in suitcases that when it came time to pack for the trip on Friday I thought we were going to have to go and open a bank account somewhere so we could get a free duffel bag. Tomorrow is going to be the first day since August that I don't have to choose my underwear for the day out of a suitcase. I'm not sure if I'm going to know what to do with myself.

Trash's greatest fear, of course, is that tomorrow morning they're going to show up and say, "Sorry, we weren't done. You're going to have to move everything back down now." In which case Trash will say, "Sorry, you are done. Take whatever you didn't finish off of our bill."

It's going to take a little while to get settled in, figure out the new routine, and where everything goes. It's a lot like moving, only with less driving. And since the driving is often the easiest part of moving, we may have gotten the shaft.

And after going through all of this, we're pretty sure we're never moving again.

posted by M. Giant 8:10 PM 3 comments

3 Comments:

A bar in the closet? Dude! Where do you keep the bartender?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 2, 2007 at 7:19 AM  

I'm so jealous. You guys got a whole new addition in less than the amount of time it has taken to rebuild a wall and add a pantry in our kitchen. Care to throw a few contractors our way?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 2, 2007 at 2:24 PM  

If anyone is interested in our contractor's information, it's Full Measure Construction in MN. If you want contact info, feel free to e-mail me at M.GiantATgmailDOTcom

By Blogger M. Giant, at January 2, 2007 at 4:03 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives