M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Tuesday, January 30, 2007  

Book Clubbed

I thought I'd share with you a very nice note from someone who participated in our Donors Choose challenge last fall:

Many moons ago you posed a challenge to your readers to step up to the plate through Donors Choose. I have had a very good life and remembered those who had touched it. I was lucky to come from a family that treasured books and all the adventures they offered. My parents nurtured the love of reading and words in all their kids. So, when you posed the challenge to offer that opportunity to others, I could not help but accept. Little did I realize how much I would get in return, and I just wanted to say thank you. In this day and age of charities soliciting more and more funding, it is all too easy to give and then move on. The only time you are reminded that you did something to salve your inner voice is at tax time as you dig out the receipts to report the same to Uncle Sam. (See, I am a good person, really I am...now take that taxation thing and get out of my face!)

Well, I funded a project for what did not seem to me to be a very large chunk of change. I just saw the opportunity to share the love of reading with others who were struggling to discover the joy. Big whoop, isn't that what life is all about? Passing the chances on to others just seems like the thing to do. Then the mail came today, lo these many days since the donation (October). A large envelope was waiting as I got home from work. "Great" I thought, "another charity that is going to just keep wasting the money on mail solicitations." Did I mention I had had a rotten day so all my natural cynicism was oozing out all pores on overdrive? I was on the phone with a friend and started randomly going through my mail. I opened the fat envelope only to have over 60 small envelopes pour out on to the counter; all with my name on them in rather young handwriting. The class that I had sent a relatively small sum of money had written thank yous, drawn out letters on sheets of paper and then held them up in photos to spell "Thank you", all enclosed with a wonderful letter from the teacher. Photos taken of 14 year olds curled up with books, loving (or seemingly so) the joy of reading were enclosed as well. But more than anything the thing that struck home was the reality check. The repeated statement of "But you don't even know us and you bought us all these books." I shared the love of books, but more than that, I shared that you could love your fellow human. What I had lost track of was just how little it takes to spread that love, that thought, that respect. Thank you for reminding me never to take that for granted; for reminding me that all it takes is a little step outside of ourselves and our daily ruts. Thank you for allowing me to share that joy.


* * *

It's nice to hear from someone who has experience and spread a love of books.

On a barely related note, one of Trash's coworkers found an Amazon reader review by someone who didn't so much love one particular book. The awesome part is that the author then responded to the review. And I think maybe he was drunk. The link is here.

Sample paragraph: "your comments are not only invalid -- they're inaccurate, without substance, and degrading to a world class writer who has sold a million books, been on the wall street journal best sellers list more than 100 times, and has an immense following of people who are loyal followers my writing (as you can see from other reviewers)"

And, just to be clear, [sic].

Doesn't that just make you want to buy all the rest of his books right now?

Labels:

posted by M. Giant 4:31 PM 7 comments

7 Comments:

What an ass! Are they sure he is the author?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2007 at 6:05 PM  

Now THAT was a fun and interesting read!!! Meaning Mr. G's response to his critics. ;-D

The email you posted about the Donors Choose challenge, however, made me cry. That is absolutely amazing and wonderful.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2007 at 7:14 PM  

I think I might see why his books go through a dozen FULL edits.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2007 at 9:01 PM  

I'm not sure if I'm just looking in the wrong place, or if they took his comment down...but I can't find it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 31, 2007 at 12:41 AM  

That author's response was great! Is it just coincidence the man has "GIT" in his last name? I think not.

Anonymous as 12:41 AM: the author's reponse is actually in the one-star review by "Karen" on January 26. Karen reviewed, he struck back.

-- Colleen

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 31, 2007 at 6:25 AM  

That letter is so beautiful, it made me cry. I hope you make the book donation an annual thing. I liked giving books in M. Small's name.

Oh, and the Amazon note just made me want to cry...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 31, 2007 at 6:45 AM  

Isn't Trash a librarian? She needs these!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 2, 2007 at 10:55 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives