M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Sunday, November 05, 2006  

Dim Bulb

When Trash and I were in Athens, Georgia in 2002, we spent an evening at the 40 Watt Club. Like Walter's Barbecue earlier in the day, It was kind of a pilgrimage for me, as an R.E.M. fan. Even as a former R.E.M. fan.

(Actually, let me clarify that. I still dig their older stuff. They started losing me around Monster and once Bill Berry left and they completed their transformation to John Malkovich, Jim Belushi, and Eugene Levy's character from A Mighty Wind, I lost all interest in their new music. Too much work.)

So anyway, we go to the 40 Watt Club, been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Literally. I still have the black 40 Watt Club t-shirt I bought that night, and it's been in pretty regular rotation ever since. It's nearly gray at this point.

Nobody ever comments on it, though. I thought the place was pretty famous, at least among the faithful (and formerly faithful, which I guess isn't all that faithful) but I've only been asked about the t-shirt three times.

The first time was when a couple of years ago. Someone asked me what kind of club it was, and what the membership requirements were. I explained that it was more or less a bar, and membership requires an ID saying you're 21.

The second and third times were this fall. Someone asked me if I was from Athens when I was at the local neighborhood festival with M. Small, and I said no, I just visited once. And then, when we were at the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, one of our friends' kids made friends with the daughter of a couple on an adjoining patch of grass, and the other kid's mom asked me if I was from Georgia.

When I bought this t-shirt, I thought it was a pretty cool thing to have. But now it turns out that the one artifact of hip cred I own is only recognized by parents of toddlers.

Obviously I need to reassess.

* * *

Okay, I've reassessed. And I have decided that clearly, being the parent of a toddler is a much more hip thing to be than I previously suspected. Now I can continue wearing my fading 40 Watt Club t-shirt with confidence.

Except now I'm just wishing I hadn't gotten it entirely clean after that time he shat on it. Because how fucking scenester would that be, huh?

posted by M. Giant 8:26 PM 3 comments

3 Comments:

This is precisely how we feel about our First Avenue shirt.

We're moving back to MPLS in the spring and hope to marry M. Small off to one of our girls. You can pick which one.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 5, 2006 at 9:53 PM  

Dude, toddlers are the ultimate hipster accessory these days. You know you're a Grup, right?

By Blogger Febrifuge, at November 6, 2006 at 9:21 PM  

Hey, I live in Athens! Next time, drop by and say hello before you go clubbing with the cool kids.

By Blogger Anonymous Me, at November 14, 2006 at 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives