M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Thursday, August 31, 2006  

The Men Upstairs

It was almost three years ago that we painted our upstairs bedroom. I told you about it at the time, but I never actually showed you what it looked like, with all of our stuff out of the room. Here it is from the top of the stairs, facing south:



I don't really understand why, but you can actually see the colors better in this view from the far end of the room, facing north:



It's three complementary shades of green, all picked from the same paint chip. The ceiling is the lightest, the side walls are medium, and the end walls are the darkest green. I'm not sure if that really comes through here. And it's actually a lot lighter than it looks here.

I know, maybe you'll get a better feel for the actual colors if I show you what they look like when the walls have been converted to a pile of debris on my front yard:



See? Much less oppressive this way.

Yes, Monday was day one of the remodeling project on our house. M. Small awoke to the marvelous spectacle of a "big truck" craning stacks of lumber onto our front lawn. He was so excited that we could barely get him into his feeding chair, but once he realized that he could sit there and watch the whole thing through the kitchen window while shoveling down fruit and Rice Krispies, I don't think he even realized how much he ate. Breakfast and a show.

We all were all out of the house by eight o'clock, leaving the crew to do their thing. Here's our bedroom as of day one, facing north:



And the opposite view. Note the canvas draped over the stairwell at bottom left, and whatever the hell is all over the camera lens. I have no idea.



You can't really see the small army of stuffed Hefty bags where our bed used to be. I told Trash, "Damn, I could have done this." But then she correctly pointed out that it would have taken me the better part of a month and that I wouldn't have had access to the dumpster that's currently parked alongside our driveway.

"But I've gotten, like, two-thirds of the insulation out of the garage in only three years or so," I reminded her. She didn't seem as impressed by this as I might have hoped. She also claims we would have been uncomfortable sleeping on the bags, but I don't think she's giving us enough credit.

This was day one. It's now day four. I have more pictures from each day since that I simply haven't bothered to post yet. For now, I'll simply give you a short timeline of the project so far while running a little test of that adage about the word/picture exchange rate.

Day one: Inner wall of the east side completely torn out.
Day two: East half of the roof totally removed. Room where we've slept for the past thirteen years completely open to the elements except for a thin plastic sheet.
Day three: Completely new east wall framed and paneled, complete with window-holes.
Day four: New east half of roof framed, paneled, and shingled.

This was supposed to take four to five weeks. This morning, Trash asked them what they plan to do for the last three weeks of the project.

Every day when we get home from work, we go upstairs and marvel at what's been accomplished. Even M. Small is impressed. "Big house!" he remarks every time we come up the driveway.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on how it's going over the next several weeks. And if a mysterious container of lube appears on our bathroom vanity, you'll be the first to know.

posted by M. Giant 8:45 PM 4 comments

4 Comments:

Re: what is all over the camera lens? Well, there's a theory that little light circles on photos are ghosts caught unawares. Maybe you have some unseen friends, ha ha yeah right dear GOD I need coffee

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 1, 2006 at 7:11 AM  

Wow - so what all are you doing, exactly?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 1, 2006 at 10:53 AM  

Re: what is all over the lens... If you're talking about the little circles everywhere, it's airborne dust and debris. We have the same circles in our renovation pictures. You don't see them, but when the flash goes off, they reflect the light back at the camera.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 6, 2006 at 1:22 PM  

Yeah, the stuff on the pics is dust in the air. We pulled down a celing with blown insulation and you can't see anything in the pictures from all the dust in the air. We were sneezing black for a week.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 8, 2006 at 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives