M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, May 31, 2006  

Summer Vacation

Tonight was pretty special. After we got M. Small home from day care and fed him his dinner, Trash and I loaded him into the car for some errands. I dropped her off at Target to do some shopping, and M. Small and I went on to the kids' hair place (imaginatively named "Kids' Hair") to get him an overdue trim. We got home and gave him his evening snack, and then put him to bed. And here's the special part: I cleaned house and did laundry for more than an hour. It was great. You know what's even better? Aside from the errands, I'll probably do it again tomorrow.

Perhaps I should explain. As you may have heard, last Monday the non-stop season of 24 finally stopped. For the past nineteen Tuesdays in a row, I've been sitting at my computer within minutes of M. Small's bedtime, one hand on the keyboard and the other on the VCR remote. Recapping is just about the most fun you can have writing for money, but it does tend to eat up a lot of time. And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying the break. Plus one feels guilty leaving the entire running of the house to one's wife/mother of one's toddler, no matter how much she tells one not to.

This is the first time in almost a year and a half that I didn't know where my next recap was coming from. After Season Four of 24, I had one week off before starting to recap Six Feet Under. Then when that was done, I went right into Rome. By the time that was over, it was the holidays. During which I spent a lot of time working on another writing project. And then two weeks after New Year's 24 started again. And now here we are. No recaps due, my other project is in waiting mode, my semi-annual freelance gig is several weeks away. It's like the first day of summer.

Yesterday didn't count; it was a holiday, and the whole day felt like Sunday anyway. This morning I got up at seven, helped get the kid ready for day care, got ready for work, drove us all to our respective destinations, put in a rather busy/stressful eight and a half hours at the office, drove home, and got a bunch of stuff done. And I feel like I'm on vacation. Last night I finally loaded Half Life 2 on Trash's computer, and the hour I spent playing it was like a gift. The hour and a half I had to spend loading it beforehand was like a different kind of gift, the kind one normally finds in flames on one's doorstep, but on balance I ended up happy. Later on I'll play it some more. And like I said, earlier tonight I did house stuff, clear of conscience and clear of deadlines.

I of course know that it's only a matter of time before I start missing recapping again. Weeks, if not days. In fact, if the bosses offered me a summer show tomorrow I'd jump at it. January 2007 is a long way off, after all. But in the meantime, I'm going to practice filling in the void with my home, and my family, and my cats, and hours of noisy, gratuitous violence.

That last thing should probably be separate from the other three, I'm thinking.

posted by M. Giant 1:52 PM 3 comments

3 Comments:

Just a quick "fan-note" to you - I love your 24 recaps and always look(ed) forward to them. The question is: will we ever see Jack ducking into a bathroom or hitting up a vending machine? Dude never eats, sleeps or pees, does he?

Don't the cats/M Small provide a certain modicum of gratuitous violence? My two cats certainly do, and we don't have an M. Tiny/Small. Enjoy your break - you've earned it!

By Blogger Maya, at May 31, 2006 at 4:48 PM  

I know the feeling. I saved up $22,000 and quit my job two months ago. I've been kicking around doing this, that and the next thing. It's like being a kid on summer vacation...including the part where I got a stress fracture in my foot yesterday. And it's still awesome. --Sayer

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 31, 2006 at 4:56 PM  

After a reasonable vacation, I hope you recap something else. And let me know in advance so I'll have a reason to actually watch a tv program while it's on tv, rather than just netflixing it years later.

By Blogger Anonymous Me, at June 5, 2006 at 7:03 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives