M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, January 18, 2006  

36 years ago today, the best man – no, the best person I have ever met was born. I am not certain if birds started to sing and angels landed on earth, but I do know that the world was instantly made a better place.

Almost 20 years ago (I think it’s 20 next month, but M. Giant claims it’s only 19) I met this gorgeous, hilarious, and brilliant young man. We were competing against each other in a speech competition, and I am happy to say I kicked his ass. Despite this obvious hit to his masculinity, he still wanted to become friends, much to my delight.

Flash forward a few years, and I run into this same young man at the University of MN. It was the first day of spring quarter, and I didn’t know what made the day better – being able to sit outside without a coat (we do live in MN, after all) or seeing one of the coolest and best people in knew in high school. In retrospect, I would have to say the later.

You all know the rest of the story. Girl pursues boy, boy shows no interest, girl gives up, and boy gives in. Maybe someday, if you’re lucky, M. Giant will tell you the story of the summer we started dating. If you know Zen Viking, he was there and he could tell you about it, too. If I have done something terrible, they might tell you the story of The Unbearable Long-ness of Being and the sheet.

But for now, let me just say HAPPY BIRTHDAY and I LOVE YOU to the nicest, most understanding, smartest, sexiest, brilliant, most patient, most hilarious, best father – just best – man I know. Here’s to another 50-60 years of happiness.

posted by M. Giant 9:30 AM 14 comments

14 Comments:

Ahhh, that was so sweet. I LOVE Trash updates

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 18, 2006 at 10:07 AM  

oh WOW! I had no idea that's how you guys met! I'm just a fan who followed over from TWoP, but I had to post here, as I met my love the same way, kicking the boy's ass in speech and debate.

From what I've seen after a year of reading this here blog, y'all are a lovely family, with a beautiful son and a great life. It's so encouraging. Happy birthday M. Giant!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 18, 2006 at 12:03 PM  

Overheard on the Hugh Hewitt show at 6:50pm:

"I want to recommend Television with Pity as well!" [laughs] "They have these awesome recaps and they give people names like Chloe is called 'Potato Face'"

All PR is good PR eh?

Happy Birthday.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 18, 2006 at 8:08 PM  

Whoops .. with = without, of course.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 18, 2006 at 8:09 PM  

Happy Birthday M. Giant. So, what'd you do? Dinner out? Party planned for this weekend? Drunken bowling? Drunken bowling dinner party? (Or maybe you don't drink, in which case I applaud you. But you should still have a bowling dinner party.)

By Blogger Sleepless Mama, at January 19, 2006 at 9:24 AM  

Have a great birthday M. Giant. And Trash, what a lovely tribute.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 19, 2006 at 10:04 AM  

Before I read this entry, I think I was a little in love with M. Giant. Now I am a little in love with Trash. I want to be part of your family - is M. Small looking for an older sister?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 19, 2006 at 2:55 PM  

Happy Birthday, M. Giant! (2 days late)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 20, 2006 at 6:11 AM  

Dude, sometimes knowing someone for 20 years can create pockets of self-fulfilling EVIL. See, I'd forgotten about the sheet story, due to advanced age and not having been there but rather just hearing about it (I wasn't there, was I?).

Anyway, what Trash says is true. The way I remember it, though, it wasn't so clear that Giant was disinterested, merely clueless, as all the good ones are in their teens and early twenties.

I recall that Trash had, for some reason, held on to some random ex-boyfriend's soccer jersey. I am proud to have been the one who heaved it out Giant's car window at speed.

By Blogger Febrifuge, at January 20, 2006 at 10:04 AM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Blogger Anonymous Me, at January 20, 2006 at 11:56 AM  

Trying again. . . Happy Birthday, M. Giant! How about making "the summer we started dating" your next post?

By Blogger Anonymous Me, at January 20, 2006 at 11:58 AM  

Happy Belated Birthday!

Can't wait to ask ZV about the story.

By Blogger Teslagrl, at January 24, 2006 at 10:36 AM  

Wow, I did not know that you originally met in Speech, and competing against each other nonetheless. At least it wasn't during Danceline/Cheerleading squad or whatever it is *ahem* you were on ;)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 24, 2006 at 7:39 PM  

happy b-day dude. you guys rule. miss you lots. m.small is getting to be m.yooge.
xoxo
lawre

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 26, 2006 at 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives