M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Thursday, November 03, 2005  

Ktgdeekhx!

I'm the first to admit that I'm pretty out of touch with what's going on in the world. I remember when I used to write long, digressive posts about various arcane aspects of pop culture, and now I'm not even qualified to do that any more. Maybe it'll get better in January when I start recapping 24 again instead of all these HBO shows and I'm actually exposed to a commercial once in a while. We'll see.

But even in my little hermetic bubble, occasionally some tidbit from the outside world gets through. Like, I keep hearing about birds in flight. Actually, it seems to be just one bird. Seriously, I hear thirty seconds of news in the radio and everyone's talking about how some bird flew somewhere. I tune to NPR and it's "bird flew" this and "bird flew" that. Isn't this kind of a dog-bites-man story?

Oh, well, if I'm going to be missing the news, I'm just glad I'm not missing much. I'd be pretty grumpy if I was tuned out while things were actually happening.

* * *

M. Small went on a lot of evening walks with his mom over the summer while I was busy recapping Six Feet Under. So he knows the neighborhood pretty well. Now that it gets dark before 6:00 (grrr), there aren't so many walkies. But Monday night, he got his first good look at the neighborhood after dark, from a vantage point other than a car seat. Let me see, what was it we were doing on Monday night? Oh, now I remember:



Little known fact: The Red Baron wasn't actually shot down, he was abducted by aliens and forced to undergo a 2001: A Space Odyssey-esque transformation. No? Okay, fine then. But isn't Trash a good sport, putting on that mask for the picture?

Oh, all right, fine, it was me. I didn’t wear the mask out of our front yard, though.

We hit about four houses (including that of our niece Deniece, who was oddly enough dressed as the devil for the occasion), me trying to get M. Small to say "Trick or Treat" the whole way. At some point he said something like "Ktgdeekhx" out of sheer frustration with me, but I think it counts. Even if we were between houses at the time.

You'll notice he doesn't have a jacket on over his flight suit, because I always feel bad for kids who have to do that. But don't worry about him being cold. Underneath his costume, he was wearing a onesie, long underpants, a long-sleeved onesie, sweat pants and a sweatshirt, a ski jacket, a snowsuit, one of my flannel shirts, an electric blanket, and Turtle. He looked inflated. I don't think he would have felt a thing if I'd dropped him. If only I'd remembered to put a diaper on before all of that, I could have saved myself so much heartache later in the evening.

It was a big night for both of us: his first real Halloween, since last year he a) had been home for less than thirty-six hours and b) weighed less than the total amount of candy we handed out. His birth parents came over to join us for the trick-or-treating, which made it even more special.

But next year, he's going to have to do a whole lot better than this:



Today's best search phrase: "Dead rat smell." I don't think that's something you can download.

posted by M. Giant 9:25 PM 4 comments

4 Comments:

Please tell me where I can acquire a baby-sized flight suit. My nephew neeeeeeeds one! (Although he will be hard-pressed to look as cute as M. Small. Dammit.)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 4, 2005 at 5:55 AM  

Great costume! M. Small's costume is cute, too.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 5, 2005 at 8:29 AM  

Saw the hairy arms in the first pic and thought "No way can that be Trash!". Yay, I was right.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 6, 2005 at 4:30 PM  

I thought that with the flight suit and the blond curls on the infant, M.Small was the Lindburgh Baby. THAT would have been cool.

By Blogger Sonja, at November 9, 2005 at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives