M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Thursday, August 04, 2005  

I bought Haunted last month in part because it came so highly recommended, sort of, by Pamie, stee, Wing, and Toque. I read that first story at my mother-in-law's house in Iowa on the Fourth of July weekend. So I couldn't even offer to read the thing out loud to the room at the time, because I can't imagine it would have had a terribly receptive audience.

So the other thing Pam mentioned in that entry was how creepy the very sight of the book's cover was around the house. I may have discovered something creepier. And that is the absence of the very sight of the book's cover around the house.

I know we got home with the book, because I remember reading part of it when we returned. But a couple of days later, it vanished. I've looked everywhere. It's not in any of the shelves. It's not under any of the furniture. It's not even in the freezer for getting too upsetting. It's just gone.

Except it's not, because it's here in the house somewhere.

Waiting.

Waiting for me to forget about it. Waiting for me to let my guard down. Waiting for me to stop looking for it, and then waiting a few more weeks, so that it can leap on my face while I'm sleeping and suffocate me.

Anyway, if I ever go, like, a whole month without posting, that's probably what happened to me. Just so you know.

posted by M. Giant 10:03 PM 4 comments

4 Comments:

Perhaps it eloped with my missing "The X-Files" Season 1 DVDs. They'd actually make a pretty good couple.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 4, 2005 at 10:30 PM  

I seriously suggest buying another copy of the book. Murphy's law on this one is this; when you lose something and you go through the trouble of buying the same thing twice, you will find your original again. That is how I ended up with so many watches...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 5, 2005 at 6:10 PM  

Nothing supernatural here. When you get a kid, things go missing. Not that it's the kid's fault. It's more of a priority issue. Baby, check. Baby's stuff, check. Stuff for baby's stuff, check. Book I was enjoying? Aww, damn.

Also, I appreciate the shout-out on the microbiologist reference in your latest SFU recap. As I am a microbiologist. And I hate Nate, so good joke.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 6, 2005 at 5:19 PM  

I think your book and my missing, brandnew, round non-stick baking sheet might be in your oven. I don't know why your book would want to be in your oven, though, but you might want to check there anyway. Stranger things have happened. And if you find the baking sheet, let me know. Thanks. :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 7, 2005 at 4:07 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives