M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Thursday, August 18, 2005  

Ah, the magic of fatherhood. M. Small is learning to crawl and scoot around. It's a special time. Because now I can start blaming him for things.

For instance, of the three separate times I spilled cat food on the floor this morning? Only one of them was completely my fault.

That was the first one. Rather than keeping the giant sacks of kibble on top of the fridge, we store the food in a couple of big Rubbermaid containers that take up a lot less space. When a container's empty, we go downstairs, refill it from the sack in progress, and bring it back up.

Maybe wrangling a large bag with an uneven opening wasn't the wisest thing to do as my second task of this morning (after making M. Small's breakfast bottle, and before peeing). But considering that only twenty or thirty kernels ended up on the floor, I don't think I did too bad. And considering how sloppy the cats often are about covering up after themselves in the nearby kitty boxes, they would have eventually ended up there anyway.

A little later, I was rooting around in the cabinet under the stove for containers and lids to bring our lunch to work in. We have roughly eight million containers under there, and nine million lids, but the overlap between them equals about three and a half. So finding a viable container/lid combination can become a little arduous. Trash was occupied with actually arranging the lunches themselves, so while I rummaged I put M. Small down on the floor right next to me. Forgetting that the cat food bowls were on the floor right next to him. The next sound I heard was the sound of a feline breakfast being inverted. I should let the cats make his bottle tomorrow.

After Trash took M. Small off to day care, I swept up the dry food and stepped over to the trash can to toss it away. Prior to working the catch that releases the trash can lid, I jauntily tossed the laden dustpan from one hand to another.

I know what you're thinking, but that third time wouldn't have happened if it hadn't been for the kid.

posted by M. Giant 4:50 PM 4 comments

4 Comments:

Hmm, there's a logical fallacy there, but I can't think of what it is. It's not post hoc, ergo propter hoc, but that's close.

By Blogger Joanne, at August 18, 2005 at 7:27 PM  

I can't believe you would blame the boy, when it is obvious where the real fault belongs -- on the cats.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 19, 2005 at 11:04 AM  

How are the cats taking this crawling phenomenon? My cat- who hates all things male on GP- for some reason loves little children. This is the same cat who bit my old roommate (on the face; she deserved it) and her boyfriend (on the head; I tried to warn him, but he didn't believe it would happen).

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 22, 2005 at 10:23 AM  

I blame my kid for the crayon all over my walls. No one else knows this secret. ;-)

By Blogger katie's brain, at August 22, 2005 at 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives