M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Sunday, July 17, 2005  

Things Change

I always promised myself that the last Velcrometer entry would be only that—the last one. No big announcement, no self-congratulatory retrospective, just an everyday entry that happened to be the last one because I’d quit or died. The other way just seemed kind of attention-grabby, like the rock band that sits backstage and makes the crowd keep screaming for twenty minutes when everybody knows damn well they’re coming back for another encore. Better, I thought, to post an entry and then just…stop.

This isn’t either of those, by the way.

Yeah, I’m going to keep going with this, even though I have a few reasons (excuses?) not to. It’s helped me accomplish a lot of what I set out to achieve forty months ago. I got into the habit of writing every day, which I still do, even if it doesn't end up here. I got invited to be a Damn Hell Ass King. I got some decent traffic, and more regular readers than I ever expected. I got hired as a comedy writer, largely due to my demonstrated ability to crank something out five days a week. That gig only lasted a year, but it’s on my resume forever, and now I can be a writer for the rest of my career. I met a whole slew of awesome, funny people that I never would have gotten to meet otherwise. I became a TWoP recapper. I sold a book, a play that's going to have a staged reading in New York this week and a run of performances at the Philadelphia Fringe Festival this fall. So now that I’ve reached all those goals, why continue? Especially now that I have way more demanding full-time job than I did when I started, more freelance opportunities than I can handle, and, oh yeah, A BABY? Sure, other people post better, oftener and longer than I do under the same constraints, but I have been saddened to discover that I’m not one of them. So why go on?

Well, there’s you guys, of course. Y’all have kept reading, and obviously I appreciate that. But that’s nothing compared to the support you’ve given me and my family. And not just the kind comments and e-mails. I don’t know what we would have done in the weeks surrounding M. Tiny’s birth if it hadn’t been for all those packages that kept appearing on our back deck from people all over the world. Seriously, dude, Melbourne? I’d feel like a total ass if I walked away from y’all now.

But on the other hand, is it any more fair of me to keep this thing limping along, sometimes going weeks between posts, and frequently crappy ones at that? I submit that it is not.

But the reality is that I more and more rarely have time to sit down for an hour and crank out a thousand words that are up to the standard I'd hope for. So maybe it's time to just face facts and start getting in the habit of posting shorter entries, especially if that's what it's gong to take to get me to post more regularly.

Starting with this one.

Today's best search phrase: "My toddler can read blog." But just because he can doesn't necessarily mean he should.

posted by M. Giant 2:53 PM 20 comments

20 Comments:

Whatever it takes, man. Just don't give me that heart attack 'last entry' opener EVER again ... I'm a healthy 34, but shock and mourning can kill ya at any age!

Here's to shorter and oftener (or something)...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 17, 2005 at 3:08 PM  

shorter and oftener: fine by me.

Keep it up, I bask in your talented writing.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 17, 2005 at 4:02 PM  

Well, the blogosphere is a strange and fascinating place. Someday someone will work out the laws that govern the relationships between post frequency, post length, and post value*, but for now you just gotta do what's best in the here and now.

I've sputtered and coughed my way to a handful of entries on my proto-pseudo-blog, with no regularity, and huge gaps. One or two of them, I really like and I'm glad I got them out there.

You, I imagine, have a really decent ratio of signal to noise. That's what you should be proud of, not just the regularity (which is damned impressive) or the depth (which, ditto).

So, y'know, it's like always. Maybe life in general will allow for something that just happens to also fit that "bigger-better-faster-funnier" thing they always talk about.

And hey, you should totally blog about a big road trip out New England way to see pretty fall colors. If you go to Philly, heck, you're over halfway here.

-zv

* It's okay for me to talk like this; I have been studying thermodynamics, equilibrium, and (this week) quantum theory.

By Blogger Febrifuge, at July 17, 2005 at 4:10 PM  

Dude! You HAVE to stop scaring the crap out of us with those beginnings. Thank goodness you are hanging around, you make my week each time you update.

That said, I think I will like having you back more often, even if it is a shorter entry. But can I request that we still get photo entries from time to time?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 17, 2005 at 8:00 PM  

Bigger is not always better, or so I have heard. Here's to shorter and more frequent.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 17, 2005 at 8:12 PM  

Doesn't everybody use RSS now anyway? Post as infrequently as you like. We'll still be able to follow you through whatever aggregator we use.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 17, 2005 at 8:29 PM  

I agree -- I look forward to reading you more often, even if the entries are shorter. Besides, if then entry is shorter, I have more time to go through the archives and remind myself of the entries I missed.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 17, 2005 at 8:55 PM  

Yeah, don't go. I love this blog!

By Blogger Anonymous Me, at July 17, 2005 at 8:58 PM  

I kind of like how M. Giant compared himself to a rock band waiting while then crowd screams.

-J Money

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 18, 2005 at 5:56 AM  

Heh -- I don't know, I've never thought of M. Giant as being anythong other than a rock star, so it makes perfect sense to me.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 18, 2005 at 6:35 AM  

It's perfectly understandable that you don't have a lot of time to post anymore. Full-time job, married and baby? I'm impressed you write here at all with all you have going on.

I would miss reading Velcrometer if you left...so I hope you continue even in short little entries.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 18, 2005 at 8:34 AM  

Um, that was me above, Robyn from PA, if it matters.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 18, 2005 at 8:34 AM  

I would miss you, as well, but I want to talk about something more important.

Why are your Google ads linking to:

1) God Loves You http://www.godlovestheworld.com/

and

2)The Lazy Man's Success Secrets http://www.lazysuccess.com/

I don't get it -- are they just the default when Google doesn't have any relavant ads? If we all clicked on them, would they see you as a perfect match? I think you should start another entry each time, like your search words, looking into your Google ad matches.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 18, 2005 at 9:05 AM  

Glad to hear you're sticking around--count me among those who freaked out a bit when she read the first paragraph. Shorter and more often is good, longer and not as often is also good. Just don't disappear :-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 18, 2005 at 9:13 AM  

i'm one of the randoms who reads your blog, and i love it ... glad to hear you're not abandoning ship

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 18, 2005 at 12:23 PM  

It's all good, man. You gotta do what you gotta do and, as much as I enjoy your writing, I think it's great that you put your family first.

Personally, I hope it all works out great for you and your family.

Just don't forget us. ;)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 18, 2005 at 12:36 PM  

Yo.. keep 'em coming whenever...
your stuff is more like sushi than milk and cookies anyway....
who wants sushi more than once a week?
I've been a lurker/reader since around when M.Tiny arrived, and your stuff is better than most all on DHAK (not Linda's work of course).
Plus the icon they gave you rocks.
Paul B

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 18, 2005 at 4:17 PM  

Looking forward to seeing you over at the Damn Hell Ass Kings. I love your writing style.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 19, 2005 at 6:32 AM  

Had me going for a while there. But sometimes you have to throw down the gauntlet and publicly decry a goal in order to light a fire under your ass and follow through. Or is that just me? Anyways, no worries about the length between blog postings - your loyal readers are more than happy to wait.

By Blogger Her Ladyship, at July 19, 2005 at 7:14 AM  

Don't DO that! I thought I was going to have to deal with the end of Queen of Wands AND the end of Velcrometer, and then I would have had to cry.

Shorter and oftener is good, but hey...I expected a bit of lag. You have. A Brand New Baby. Those don't always allow regularly scheduled programming.

Now that I'm calmed down, glad to hear you're not leaving us!

By Blogger Pope Lizbet, at July 19, 2005 at 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives